70

"Careful," said Aun. "Slowly. Slowly."

Kaori was shaking with the effort of simply sitting upright on the edge of his cot. The leaders of Hanpe waited. Mhera tucked herself beneath Kaori's left arm, putting her right arm around his chest. "We'll stand together," she said.

On Kaori's other side, Aun put one hand on his shoulder, one hand on his hip.

"You're familiar," Kaori said through gritted teeth. He turned his glassy, pained eyes toward Aun, who blushed. He seemed to like her, from what Mhera could tell, although she was a rebel.

"I'm here to help. I'm a professional," said Aun. "Don't give me any cheek."

The prince's tight lips quirked. "Up, then."

Mhera rose to her feet, pulling Kaori along with her. Aun, on the other side, pushed him. The prince fought to stand, rebelling against the pain-driven instinct to stay right where he was. The sound of anguish he made was one Mhera wished never to hear again in her life.

"You'll be home soon," she told him, hoping to give him some measure of comfort.

"And what about us, then?" Arsan asked, watching through slitted eyes from the bed next to Kaori's. "You leave us behind to die."

Kaori was on his feet now, although he leaned so heavily on Mhera that it seemed she bore all of his weight.

"We cannot take you all," said Matei. "It is my hope that we will reach an agreement of peace when I go to the city. The emperor doubtless has prisoners of his own. There may be some—exchange."

Arsan snorted and lay back on his pillow.

"If you mislike the accommodations, I can put an end to your discomfort," said Uachi. He laid his hand on his dagger.

The prince shook, clinging to Mhera and Aun. He had no shirt, and with the blankets taken away, Mhera could see the beads of sweat rolling down his chest. The bandages were clean, but whatever lay beneath them tortured him. He said, "Arsan, I will soon have my father's ear, and I will see you and all these men out of this encampment. Bide your time."

Kaori had suddenly gone quiet on the matter of Matei's true identity, and Mhera had no wish to press him for his thoughts. It was not the time. She moved to the end of the cot, supporting Kaori along the way with Aun on the other side. The prince could bear his own weight now more than he had the first night he had come, when he had been delirious and on the brink of death, but it certainly was not easy for him.

"We will never make it far like this," said Matei. He turned to Sashta. "Go and get a wheelbarrow."

Kaori made a harsh sound as Sashta headed toward the door. "You'll have a prince of the realm roll into the Holy City in a bucket on wheels?"

"Trust me, you will cut a much more dignified figure in a wheelbarrow than you do right now," said Matei. His voice was not combative. It was gentle. "Aun, is there nothing more you can give him for the pain?"

"Not if you want him awake," Aun said.

"You cared nothing for my pain the night you nearly killed me," said Kaori. Mhera felt him trembling with the effort to stay upright. "You took my arm."

Matei met Kaori's gaze across the space of floor between them. He looked like he suffered as painful a wound as the prince. "I did not know you at a glance," he said. "And you struck to kill. It was instinct, Kaori." He raised his wrist, displaying the long, thin scab Mhera had noticed the night of the battle.

Kaori was silent. He had his arm around Mhera's shoulders, and his remaining hand grasped at the sleeve of her tunic.

"Luck. That's all," said Matei. "Had chance slanted in your favor, I would be dead and you unharmed."