Chapter 16

To the majority of civilians in Liverpool, it was just another normal Liverpudlian morning. The sun rose, and husbands and wives skipped off to work, sending their children out to play. Stray animals took to the streets, roaming for scraps. Teenage boys gathered their bands to practice, and their admirers hovered just out of reach to see if they could catch their eyes. The buses ran regular hours, entrepreneurs opened their businesses. 

The world carried on for the majority of that large bay city, but for a girl in a tiny room in a fair house, everything had just changed.

Wendy woke up on her side, curled tightly around John. He was lying on his stomach with his head turned away from her, and she knew he was still asleep. His bare back rose and fell evenly, a sharp contrast to the jagged gasps of the night before…

A gasp caught in her throat.

Oh god.

Oh god oh god oh god.

Trying to stay quiet, Wendy disentangled herself from John and scooted away from him softly. Memories flashed in front of her eyes as she stared at his smooth back, red with the left over marks from her fingernails.

Oh god.

The soft sighs and trailing kisses, John turning to smile at her afterwards, falling asleep tucked safely under his arm…

She wasn’t one to deny the truth about sex. It had been good. Just like everything else was with John, but he still had been drunk. Would he freak out to wake up and find her still in his bed?

Quietly, so as to not disturb him, Wendy slipped out of John’s bed. With one eye fixed on the back of his head, she swiftly got dressed, her heart pounding wildly.

This had been a mistake.

A heated, passionate, wonderful blunder, but a mistake all the same.

Wendy had given in to his advances, and now that he’d gotten what he wanted, John was bound to drop her like a sack of potatoes.

Well, not if she did it to him first.

She slipped back into her shoes and paused in the middle of his bedroom, anxiety itching at her feet to get the hell out. Going out the front door ran the chance of Mimi spotting her, but the only other choice was the window, and that was more difficult.

Oh fuck it.

After a beat of hesitation, Wendy shimmied out the open window.

Her exposed knee clipped the sill, and John stirred. Wendy froze. He turned on his side, facing her. Praying for him to not wake up, she stared at him, holding her breath. John’s sleeping figure was actually one of the most peaceful things she had ever seen, and she resisted the want to crawl back in bed with him and plant a kiss between his eyebrows.