Chapter Thirty-One

Start from the beginning

"Illegimate? Doctorate or not, you're just as good as any professional doctor. You have the skill. Without you, Andy would've died even if we took her to an actual doctor. You worked your magic on her, I'm so grateful and I know she is too." Shawn chuckled and his cheeks turned a hint of red as he fiddled with his phone. "How does this even work? How did you of all people become a doctor for gangsters? Did they recruit you or kidnap you or what?"

Shawn laughed as if I had asked him a ridiculous question but I didn't feel offended. I knew he didn't mean it in a rude way. "To put it in simple terms for you, the De Palma Family is very popular. You and I both know that. Everyone knows that. No other gangs messes with their turf or with the crew. Since the Family is so respected, they barely get into legal troubles but when they do, they have lawyers they pay under the table. They also have doctors, such as myself. As a doctor, I get paid a salary by the top boss of the Family. Any family member with any injury can come to me and other family doctors to get treated. Everyone gets treated for free with no questions asked. This way we don't fill up local hospitals and take beds away from the average people with gangsters and also, we don't have to deal with legal questions such as, "how did you get shot?" It keeps the violence under wraps. This whole neighborhood is full of other doctors and some lawyers. No one normal lives around here. The Family finds doctors and lawyers who may be blackballed from the system or can't find a place where they fit in, and hire them under their wing."

"That's actually pretty f-cking smart." My mind was completely blown. Not only did having doctors help the Family get away with illegal sh-t, but it was also considerate of other citizens. If a hospital gets a rush of gangsters with gunshot wounds, it could halt the process of saving someone who got injuries in a more moral way.

"We have Andy's father to thank for that. He set up this system exceptionally. One day, she's going to be as big as him. She'll find even more ways to advance the Family," Shawn stated boldly. He seemed to have a lot of respect for Andy, then again, nearly everyone did.

"Wait, so, how did you get caught up in this?"

"Oh yeah, well, long story short, I met some gang members from the Family in high school. We became good friends almost instantly. Back at home, my family hated my guts. They loved sports and I wasn't into it. All I did was research medical procedures and diagnosis in books and online. I was a f-cking nerd in my family's eyes. The De Palma Family, however, used that. I studied some more and after a while, I got my own personal gangster graduation to become a doctor. I started when I was nineteen and now I'm twenty-four."

"What the literal f-ck? You knew how to perform surgeries at nineteen!?"

Shawn gave me a humble shrug. "It just comes natural for me. I love saving lives and why not save lives of people who actually care about me. The De Palma Family is an actual family. They're not your average gangsters. They're my family."

I honestly wanted to tear up. Shawn's family were really dumbasses. He was a smart and talented kid and his parents didn't appreciate that. Most parents would kill to have a kid who had the potential to become a doctor, my parents included. "You came from a f-cked-up family to a well-rounded, multi-talented individual. I came from adoptive, loving parents who are doctors, but I feel you on a whole other level. You're like my spirit brother or something." I ended up giggling at myself for even thinking of the term 'spirit brother.' Shawn laughed as well.

"Well, I really like your personality and you seem really intelligent. You've completed college and I know you want to go to medical school so how about I grant you an offer?" I raised an eyebrow at Shawn as he tapped his finger on the back of his cell phone. "Why don't you be my new assistant? Within a month or two, I'll have you doing basic gunshot wound care. You'll slowly learned everything I know and possibly more. All you have to do is shadow me, observe and listen to me every now and then. Within six months, you might even be doing surgeries depending on how fast of a learner you are. I'll pay you a fixed salary and everything. Once you know enough, I can get you promoted to a doctor on my level or you can pursue your endeavors in medical school. All you have to do is say the word."