Chapter 43

Calla:

  My heart was beating so fast I was sure he could hear it. The kiss was short and sweet, gentle but so Tyson; confident and totally sexy. I was lucky I was sitting because I'm sure it would have made my knees weak and unsteady.

It didn't last very long, but that wasn't up to us. "Calla!" A voice called up from the base of the tree. Mitchie's voice. She was back, "Calla? Are you still up there?"

We broke apart and froze, staring into each others eyes. His eyes – they were so blue.

"Calla?" Mitchie's voice sounded worried. I quickly turned away from Tyson and crawled to the edge of the platform and looked down.

"Oh hey, I thought maybe you weren't up there," She pushed her hair out from her eyes as she strained to see up the tall tree. I felt the wooden planks bend beneath my hands as Tyson got to his feet.

"I'm going to stay here tonight, if you wanna go home just come and find me and Sam and he'll drive you. I've texted my Mum, but oh!" She paused coming to a realisation, "if you still wanted to stay at mine that's fine. I'll go home too. Just forget all that I just said."

I carefully made it to my feet with the help of Tyson's arm on my elbow.

"Okay," I called down to her. She seemed satisfied with my reply even though I didn't answer either of her statements.

"Is Tyson still up there with you?"

The question suddenly made my face hot and I hoped she couldn't see my blush in the dark. Tyson popped his head over my shoulder and waved awkwardly. I almost laughed at his sheepish smile. Way to make it obvious. Mitchie just smirked at us and raised her eyebrows.

"Have fun up there," she said suggestively before starting her walk back to the house. "Oh," She paused halfway, turning back to us, "Don't forget to come in for cake in a minute!"

We both stood watching her go and by each one of her steps my heart beat just a little faster. When the faintest sight of her disappeared into the house, I felt nervous because I had nothing to distract me. What now?

Tyson and I shared a glance. I didn't know what it meant. He was smiling, in a way I hadn't noticed before; like it was a fond smile. I didn't know what to do, butterflies were fluttering up a storm in my stomach, so all I did was smile back.