Chapter 38

Tyson:

I was arguing with Frank when Sarah walked in.

"Hey, hey! Break it up you two!" She shouted over our loud voices. She was lucky she didn't walk into the room two seconds later because I bet she wouldn't have succeeded in breaking up a fist fight. I stood glaring at him, my face an inch from his. I felt Sarah place a hand to my shoulder and gently push me back a step from my father.

"What was this one about?"

I blinked and looked around the room. The TV was still blabbing on about the sport news and all of the bottles on the coffee table had been tipped over and swept onto the carpet. Tawny liquor dripped out of one, staining the blue carpet. I looked back at Sarah to find her staring at me, waiting for an answer. The fight had started with him being too drunk to realise it was me who was in the kitchen not Sarah. I wasn't going to bring him another fucking drink. Sarah wasn't his personal maid either. It made me mad when he treated her like one. I didn't want her turning into Mum and that's what scared me the most. She looked too much like her for her own good, sometimes I could see that in his eyes when he looked at her and it made me sick.

"Nothing," I spat at Frank and turned, stalking out the room. I couldn't look at his face anymore.

I could hear Sarah following me out to the front door. I ignored her and picked up my leather jacket from the side table.

When I started to shrug it on she spoke, "where are you going?"

"Out." I said. I knew my voice had a hard edge to it and when I turned to meet her eye I knew she noticed it too.

"A friends place," I said more softly.

"Okay," She replied, lifting her hands to smooth the shoulders of my jacket and brush imaginary dirt from its surface. The action annoyed me, even though I knew she did it out of love, it reminded me of a mother I didn't have. She seemed to see this in my eyes and removed her hands quickly.

"Don't be home too late."

I started to turn towards the door, "Okay."

***

It felt awkward walking into Sam Tapp's house. I hadn't been there in so long. Nate, Jarrah and I spent the half an hour train journey talking about why he would have invited us. We didn't reach a conclusion.

We got there late, around nine. The party had already kicked off. It didn't take long for people to become tipsy. When we walked into the living room we were affronted by a large group of old friends, all of them from back in the sport days. I didn't remember most of their names but Nate did and they all remembered us.

I looked around for Calla but I didn't see her and I tried to ignore my disappointment and enjoy catching up with the others; people I didn't know. It was hard.

A/N Hey readers make sure you like and comment. I'd love to see what you guys have to say :D peace out!!