Chapter 4 - Music to My Ears

Start from the beginning

"I can do the majority of it." he said.

"Nevertheless, we'll need a specialist for the job."

Jin leaned over to Namjoon. "What's Hoseok up to these days?"

*****

You knew right away that Hoseok hated you. He definitely hated your shoes. He wouldn't stop staring at them, frowning.

"This is what I have to work with?" he asked to no one in particular.

"Go easy on her, Hoseok." Taehyung said. "She's new to all this."

"I can tell. She's wearing sneakers on the ballroom floor. If you scuff up anything, I'll make you get on your hands and knees and clean it with your tongue. Got it?"

You rolled your eyes. "I'll just go barefoot if it means that much to you."

You kicked off your tennis shoes and stepped down on the floor with your socks. You didn't expect it to be so slippery. You slipped and fell right in front of him.

He sighed and looked at Taehyung. Taehyung just smiled and shrugged.

You took off your socks and got to your feet, hoping Hoseok wouldn't make any comments about the spotty blue nailpolish on your toes.

"Wear proper shoes for your next lesson." Hoseok said. "We'll start with the waltz." He looked around the room. "Where's my pianist? Yoongi? YOONGI!"

A voice came from the side of the room. "Stop with the yelling. Who's the real princess in the room? Sheesh."

You turned to see a man with sharp eyes and thin lips enter the room, carrying a bag lazily over his shoulder like a college student. He sported a hoodie and a dark earring in each ear. He was a stark contract to Hoseok, who had large, soft facial features and wore a suit and tie.

These two worked together?

"Hurry up and play a waltz for us." Hoseok commanded him.

"On it."

Hoseok turned to you. "The first thing we'll practice is the stance."

In a moment, he stepped forward and took you into his arms. Surprised, you kicked his leg.

"Ah!" he yelped, grabbing his leg. "What was that for!"

"You can't sneak up on her, Hoseok." Taehyung said, smirking. "She's stronger than she looks."

"Ahhh..." he whined, limping back towards you. "I don't get paid enough for this."

He took you back into his arms – slowly this time. You weren't sure what to do with your hands, so you put them around his neck. He pulled them away.

"This isn't a middle school Spring dance. Put one hand on my shoulder. The other holds my hand, like this."

He took your hand in his and held it up between you. You could feel his strong arm muscles through his shirt while his deep, round eyes stared into you. You hoped he couldn't feel your pulse through your hand.

He gave you instructions to follow as Yoongi played in the background. In theory, the dance itself wasn't hard, but Hoseok made you nervous. His barking tone was off-putting and made it hard for you to concentrate.

"Stand up straight. Don't look at your feet. Don't look that way, either. Look directly at me. Wait for my lead. Why aren't you waiting for my lead?"

You couldn't handle it anymore. You jammed your heel into his foot. He let go of you, cussing and grabbing his foot.

"That was on purpose, wasn't it?" he asked, growling through his teeth.

You pursed your lips and shrugged.

"You got a lot of nerve, Princess."

"So do you." you returned. "Princess or not, I can't learn with the horrible way you're teaching."

He scoffed. "We have a very limited amount of time for me to work with you. If you really want to play this game and embarrass yourself in front of everyone, then you go right –"

"I'll dance with her."

You all turned to see Jungkook in the doorway, leaning against the frame with hands in his pockets.

"I'll dance with her." he said again. "I need to work on my technique anyways."

He strode over to you and took you into his arms. He was stronger than you anticipated. The skinny troublemaker was actually pretty built.

"Is that all right with you?" he asked.

You didn't say anything, distracted by the feeling of his warm arm around your waist and his hand holding yours.

"Of course the lady would prefer a prince," Hoseok said sourly. "Fine then. Let's continue."

After an hour of intense lesson, Hoseok decided to let you and Jungkook do a song completely on your own to observe your progress.

"Remember that dancing is social," Hoseok said. "Try to hold a conversation while dancing at the same time."

Yoongi began the music and Jungkook lead you around the floor. You almost felt like a princess dancing with him. He was very smooth and a strong lead.

"This level of maturity looks good on you," you said.

He smiled. "Is there another level of maturity I usually wear?"

"How about the one that pulls pranks on people?"

He smirked. "Ah. That. Did you like my present?"

"Not even a little bit. That's not the way to a lady's heart, Jungkook."

He brought you in closer to him.

"Then tell me..." he said. "What is? I'd like to know."

Flustered, you looked away. He laughed.

"You and Jimin are so much alike." you muttered.

His grip on your hand tightened. "What was that?"

"Do you both like to flirt with every girl you meet?"

Jungkook stopped, even though the music continued. He dropped your hand from his. "I recommend never comparing me to him again. Understand?"

He glared at you. Most of his expressions towards you were blank and unreadable. This one was perfectly readable - and intimidating.

"Is there a problem, Jungkook?" Hoseok asked.

Jungkook smiled and shook his head, his intense anger instantly disappearing. "I'm done for the day. I'll see you all later."

He turned on his heel and casually left the room.

What was it about Jimin that had Jungkook on edge?