There was no pain. Not even discomfort. I struggled slightly with the overbearing heat but other than that, it was painless. Even when I took my hands out, there were no marks or soot. Nothing. 

I looked around, to see if anyone had noticed. Mum was watching me intently from the kitchen window. As far as I know, no male werewolf has ever had power over nature... only female druids. 

But I did. And it started after my first morphing. 

Since then, I could play with fire literally and never be hurt. I'd play with candlewicks, matches and even the stovetop. No matter what happened, I was fine. 

So, when I could feel someone inside that bushfire, I knew I had to go in and rescue them. 

***

Emma

"Where is he?" I whispered, stopping. 

Jace raised an eyebrow and shouted, "What did you say?!"

"Where is he?!" I repeated.

Jace shrugged, "He'll be fine, Emma!"

How could he be so relaxed about that?! Tommy had leapt straight into burning fire!

I narrowed my eyes at the fire, finally. Then I realised something I hadn't noticed a minute ago. The fire had stopped expanding. It was the same size albeit the foliage and dry twigs on the ground... 

I glanced through the fire, hoping for a glimpse of anything but there was nothing. The fire was too bright to remain looking into so I had to avert my eyes from the tragedy in front of me. Tommy... my mate. 

That was the saddest part. In the midst of all this... somewhere along the lines I'd come to terms with me being made for him. And now... I couldn't do anything about it. 

I sat slowly down on the front steps of the house. Looking down at my hands, I felt numb. There was no feeling in my body. 

I couldn't have even said how much time had passed before, "Emma."

I jerked my head up to Jace. 

He repeated more urgently, "Emma!"

"What?"

"Look," he whispered, barely audible over the strangely contained fire.

I looked to where he pointed. 

I had to blink to focus my eyes. 

There, in the light of the fire, were two black shadows. One long, straight and adjacent to the floor. The other, upright, moving and seemingly attached to the other one. 

Another few moments and soon I could make out more details. 

It was someone towing another person through the fire. I let out a small breath of air. Please let it be Tommy that's towing.

And it was. 

I watched as he walked cleanly out of the fire. No burns, scratches or even black scuffs. I rubbed my eyes. 

I was seeing things. Any person that walked into fire would at least be severely injured...

But here he is looking as angelic as before he ran in as a wolf. 

Which means... he unmorphed in the fire. Which also means he struggled for control...

It was when my eyes trailed from him to the body in his arms that reality clicked. I let out a yelp and ran to help him. I grabbed one of the girl's arms and helped drag her to the stone steps. I let her go softly and Tommy collapsed down next to her, his eyes watching me tiredly.

"Are you okay?" I whispered.

He smiled slightly, "I will be."

I looked down at the girl. She was covered in soot. Head to toe. Her clothes were reduced to tatters, a few shreds decorating her. Definitely unconscious. 

She wasn't burned from what I could see beneath the soot. Nor was she scarred anywhere on her practically flawless face. I could see bits of her brown hair beneath the black dust and her tanned, olive skin peeked through on her bare stomach, arms and legs. 

"Jace, help me," I looked up at him, "I'll take her, you take Tommy. We need to clean them up."

He didn't reply. He was staring at the girl. 

My eyes shifted to the woods to my left. Sure, a few trees had heat marks coming off of them, and the floor was full of burnt twigs but none of the trees had actually been destroyed. 

"This wasn't a normal fire," I added, "Jace?"

He gulped and took a step forward, nodding. He helped Tommy to stand up and I watched them struggle to get inside. I turned back to the unconscious girl on the stone steps. 

Even with the tattered clothes and soot, I could identify her, "Jasmine Ambrose."

Her eyes flashed open. Her mouth parted. She let out a gasp. Her eyes flitted around, her head shaking from side to side. She placed her hands on the ground until she was scooting away from everything into a tiny ball. 

Her wide brown eyes landed on me. 

"Jasmine?" I asked quietly.

She blinked once. Twice. Then she croaked back, "Emma, it wasn't me..."

She continued.

"It was Justin."

***

Song: First Time - Kygo & Ellie Goulding.

Ugh... Justin again? Yep! 

xx Sharky. 

Teenage Luna | ✔️जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें