Chapter Eighteen

^Levi Miller as Dakota James :) 

I couldn't get the new boy off my mind. It wasn't his looks - heck, I couldn't care less about what he looked like - but his attitude. When I came out of class in the English hallway, I saw him do the same further down the hall. He blatantly ignored all the ogling girls and strived forward - his eyes glossed over as if he wasn't even present. 

It was like the boy existed in a world of his own. But he was angry with our world. Beneath his glossed over eyes was something cold and calculating. 

And like Josh had said, there was something off about him. 

"I'm determined to find out what," Josh sighed at recess. 

The three of us were sitting in a circle by the large tree. Alyssa, Josh and I. 

Alyssa asked, "Who do you reckon he'll sit with?"

We ignored her.

"He smelt... nice," I concluded to Josh, "I think it was woodfire and eucalyptus."

Josh shook his head, "I only smelt the woodfire."

"But his smell was strong too."

"Do you reckon he wears cologne?" Alyssa butted in, "Cause sexy men wear cologne, you know."

Josh glared at her, "Shut up. Seriously."

"I could smell him in a hall packed full of other students," I pointed out, "And a druid's sense of smell isn't even as great as werewolf's."

"What are you saying, then?" Josh raised an eyebrow.

"Duh," Alyssa said with the undertone, "That he's not human. Or... not fully anyway," she added, seeing Josh's glare.

"So he could be a wolf, too?"

"Possible," I admitted, "But let's not jump to conclusions. We need to make-"

"Rica!"

I snapped my head in the direction of the interrupting voice. Dakota slid to a stop a few metres away from me. His face read desperate.

"Kota?" I asked, standing up slowly.

My younger brother took a deep breath before stating, "It's Tommy."

I narrowed my eyes, "What did he do?"

Kota began, "He, uh, I-um, just, just come!"

He took off running in the direction of the back oval. I let out a loud sigh before picking up after him. It was more difficult to stay in speed with him because he was quite fast anyway despite his wolf powers but I managed to not let out too much of a gap. I stopped beside him along the forest edge at the back of the school. 

I scanned the line of trees quickly, "What are you-"

He slapped a hand over my mouth in warning. Then extremely slowly, he pointed up. My gaze followed his hand up into the large tree above us. There, on the second bough up, was Tommy. 

With a girl. 

I narrowed my eyes, watching the ordeal. It was clear there wasn't anything romantic going on. They were facing each other, a respectable three feet apart. 

The girl had raven-black hair and bright, dancing green eyes. Apart from the fact that they were out-of-bounds, I didn't see the problem.

I glanced down at Kota, telling him with my eyes, Explain.

Kota stood up on his tippytoes and whispered in my ear, "I'm certain she's a druid."

I reeled back in surprise, widened eyes. I looked back up to the girl and then took a deep breath. I could smell vanilla and eucalyptus from her.