With that, Chris took off down the road.

"Yo D, you said you know a couple man round there?" Nic asked, the zoot still hanging from his lips.

"Yeah. They'll know who Dean is. Just gotta chat to them."

I watched out the window as we sped down the road. For someone as eccentric as Christian, he drove like a madman. He was an enigma in every single way. I checked the time on my phone and wondered what Rebecca was up to. No doubt she was disappointed in me for not turning up to work yesterday or today, but I hoped a part of her understood that some things took priority. This was one of them.

My phone vibrated. I opened the text Aaliyah.

You said you'd be there for me but its been ages

Did I do something wrong? If so I'm sorry. I need u

Instead of responding to the text, I called her straight away. The tone of her message didn't seem right. I looked at Chris to turn the music down before Aaliyah answered.

"Hello?"

"What's that text about, Li?"

Her voice was croaky as she spoke, "You haven't been here. I thought maybe I crossed the line last time."

I thought back to Aaliyah trying to have sex when I tried to comfort her. She was upset when I told her no, but I'd only said that because I didn't want to take advantage, and because Rebecca was in my life now.

I sighed. "Nah, it's nothing like that."

"Then what is it?"

"Just been busy." She was quiet for a moment. "How are you?"

"Been better." She sniffed. "Mum's gone."

I paused. "Gone where?"

"I don't know. Just gone. Came home from college and she wasn't around. I don't know where she is and neither does Dad."

Fuck. The situation with her parents was gradually getting worse. "She wouldn't just leave like that."

"But she has, Kayden. She's been out of control lately. This divorce ... it's changing her."

"Have you tried talking to any friends or family? She might have gone somewhere to stay a few days."

Aaliyah sighed and I heard her blow her nose. "I've tried. Dad's tried. He's pissed off now. He's gone to look for her."

I ran my hand over my face. It was always one thing after another with this family. Soon, Aaliyah will spiral out of control.

"Has your mum heard from her?" she asked, hope tinting her voice.

"Not that I know of. Sorry."

I heard her gulp. "I'm worried, Kayden."

"I know. She'll be fine. Probably went to clear her head. She'll come back."

Nicholas leaned forward. "Oi is that Aaliyah? Tell her I said hi." I shot him a glare and he shut his mouth, pulling back instantly.

"You sound busy," Aaliyah said through a dry throat. "Sorry for disturbing you."

"Don't be." I checked the time again and noticed we were nearing our destination. "Where are you?"

"In my room." She breathed heavily and I could tell she was still crying. "I just needed someone to talk to. I'm scared that my dad will find her because he might hurt her. How fucked up is that?"

"If he did, you know I'd have to get involved, right?"

She sighed. "Yeah."

Her despondent tone worried me. "Don't do anything stupid, Li."