Twenty: Determined

Most of this chapter's been written for a while. Lucky for me, everyone left me alone today, so I was able to finish this chapter. Next one should be up in a week. Enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Are you crazy, Harlow?We can’t just waltz into Mother Klara’s home and demand her to help us!” Felix exclaimed.

“That’s why we’re going to ask Vesta if it’s even possible to do what we want to do,” she said.

“Can’t the gypsies...?”

Mirela raised her hands.“I’m sorry, but if you’re talking about reversing death or anything of the sort, then I’m afraid I cannot help.If it is possible it’s Mother Klara you want, not us.That amount of power is out of our range.”

“And ours,” Bega said before I could ask.I groaned.

Felix rubbed my back.“Don’t worry, I’m sure your friend is fine.”

“No she’s not!Did you see her, Felix?She’s as good as dead - and this time I know it for sure!And it’s all because I came here, to help you guys out.My choice to stay with you and let you live led to her death.And there’s no bringing her back, no way to change things.”

“Mmmm, not necessarily,” Fayette interjected.

“What do you mean?” we asked.

“Well, you see, child... remember what I told you about the stories?If we could get, say, Brock or whatever his name is, to tell a story about her and have someone believe it, she could live here.It wouldn’t change a whole lot, because not many would believe it, but-“

“Her sister,” I interrupted.

They looked at me like I’d gone nuts.“What?”

“Mackenzie’s little sister!If we could somehow get Brock to find her and come up with some sort of awesome story, then we could get her to come back alive here, in Somnoria!She’d believe the crap out of anything about her older sister!” I grabbed Felix’s shirt and, excited, told him, “She used to worship Mack!They’d do everything together when they were little!But then her grandpa kicked Mackenzie out, saying they couldn’t afford to feed her, and they don’t allow the two to talk much anymore.”

“Where is her sister?” Harlow asked.

I shrugged.“Her grandparents moved a couple of times, so Mackenzie never found them again.It was tough on her.”

“Well, great.What now?” Harlow fell on the log next to me, her head in her hand, thinking hard.

“What’s this?” Mirela asked.

“What?”

“Why are you suddenly caring about what she cares about?” she asked Harlow.

She laughed quietly.“To be honest, I had a sort of epiphany.Don’t think things are completely different, though.”

Mirela smiled.“I won’t trust me.”

“Storm is coming,” Mirela’s mother stated.We looked towards the sky; everything seemed HD crystal-clear to me.

“We’d better get moving.Come on, Ez,” Felix said, helping me up.“We can think of ideas on the way home.”

I paused.“Home... I’ve been here a week and it truly is beginning to feel like home.”My eyes began to water again.“Poor Mackenzie!She never really had a home, except with me, did she?And once I was gone, she was left alone in the world!No wonder she... I’d’ve done it, too!”