The Girls from Downstairs

Alllllll righty!  New fantasy story up!  I won't be uploading another chapter for a bit.  THis is just a sort of teaser.  But no more than ten days wait for a second chapter, I promise!  Enjoy! <3 XDee

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The room lit up with a bright, purple-blue glow.  The foot of the young prince’s bed was now filled with the image of a beautiful young maiden.  Her black, wavy hair cascaded down her shoulders as she slept, one petite hand resting on her thin stomach, the other by her head.

“This is the woman of your future,” the seer said.

Prince Adrian sat up in his bed.  “Her?  But she’s so... plain!  So average.  So poor.”

“To you she may be nothing, but she will play a major role to you and this kingdom in the years to come.  There’s no escaping your fate, little prince.”  The woman stood, wrapping her long cloak around her thin figure.  She leaned close to the prince and shoved a sharpened nail in his face.  “You will learn to love her, whether you want to or not.  It’s not up here, but in here that decides your fate, child.”

With a shrill laugh she vanished with a puff of smoke.  Adrian moved his hand from his head to his heart.  Since when did someone rule based off of what their heart felt?  Stupid witch.  She didn’t know what she was talking about!  He was the second son of the King and Queen; anything he or his wife did couldn’t possibly be that life-altering.

“I’d better tell father what happened,” he sighed.  Slippers on his feet, he grabbed his robe and flew down the corridor to his parent’s chamber.  His older brother, Felix, was already in there, discussing the day’s events with them.

“Adrian!  It’s about time you woke!” his father boomed.

“What happened honey, you look shaken up,” his mother said.  She pulled her son close and kissed his forehead.  The nine year old pushed away from her.

“Vesta Malise visited me just now!  She showed me the woman of my future!” he announced proudly.  The other three in the room paused.

“Who is she?”

“Some maiden... plain, poor, I think she even works for us!”  He spat on the ground.  “Mommy, make it so I don’t have to marry a poor person!”

“You take that back, Adrian!  You know what happens to Prince’s who are snotty!” she snapped.

He rolled his eyes.  “They get cursed until they learn to love others for who they are.”

“I don’t want to send you to a remote castle and pretend we no longer have two sons, sweetie!” she said.  She held him close to her heart.  “I love you too much!”

“Leggome, mom!  Legggo!”

She released him.  “Promise that whoever she is, you will love her and treat her well.”

He groaned. “I promise.”

“Good.”

“I’m sure that in a few years things will change.   You’re only nine, my son!  By the time you’re ready to marry, she could have a fairy godmother that changed her into a lovely princess!”

Adrian straightened up.  “You’re right, father!  Why didn’t I think of that?”

“See?  Nothing to worry about!  Go get dressed, dear.  Breakfast is waiting for us downstairs,” his mother said.  Adrian skipped away to his room.

“I worry about him,” his father stated.

“He’s still young, Garf.”

“I know.  But I still worry.” He turned to his eldest son at his side.  “You, Felix, I have nothing to worry about.  You’re only twelve, but already on the path to become a great ruler!”