five: Somnoria

chapter five is up.  Yay!  read and enjoy, please - that's all i ask of you!  I'm not sure wtf is going on with the picture to the side, but it's supposed to be of prince adrian.  <3 XDee

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Harlow:

I ducked back into the stables.  Jinx and Adrian were watching me carefully.  “They’re coming!”

Adrian slapped his knee.  “I told you he’d bring her in here!  You never listen to me, Harlow!  I told you!”

“Men only show girls which whom they’re in love with his own Pegasus,” I said.

“Why do you think they’re going next door, not to these stables where the regular horses are kept?” he asked.

I pushed him away.  “No.  He’s probably just showing her the unicorns!”

“I’ll bet she just loves unicorns,” Jinx mocked.

“Only one way to find out,” Adrian said.  He held up his own set of keys to unlock the gate to get to the unicorn and Pegasus paddock.

“We really shouldn’t be spying on the crown prince,” I said, eyeing the keys nonetheless.

“Fine.  You can do whatever you want, Scaredy-cat Deorwynn.  I, however, am going to see what my brother and possibly future sister in-law/ Queen are up to.  If you and Jinx decide to join me, I’ll leave the gate unlocked.”  He strutted off towards the paddock.

I sighed, knowing what I was about to do wasn’t right.  I didn’t want to invade Felix’s privacy... but the gnawing thought of not being able to know what he was saying and even doing with that girl was too annoying to ignore. 

“The tiger stalked the lion till he died of frustration,”  Jinx recited.

I clicked my tongue.  “I know.  And don’t even begin to act like you’re not interested.”

She sat on my shoulder as I walked towards the paddock.  “I didn’t say I wasn’t.”

We slipped through the gate easily.  I took a second to look around and see if I could find Felix and his mystery girl.  Jinx spotted them a dozen meters away, close to the tree his Pegasus liked to nap by. We started for it, when Adrian pulled me to the ground.

“What are you doing?!?” I asked.

He took his hand off my mouth to understand me better.  “You’re really stupid if you were thinking you could just walk up to them and ask what’s up!”

“Why?” Jinx asked.

“Because that proves you were snooping!”

I gasped.  “Say... how did you find out who she was?”

He shrugged.  “I have my ways.”

“You sneaky little gypsy!” Jinx accused.

“I was simply searching for my dear older brother to ask him to come fencing with me, when he magically appeared through his mirror with girl in tow.  I decided to hide in the bathroom and heard Vesta tell him how important she was to the kingdom, okay? I wasn’t sneaking around.  I simply didn’t make my presence known,” he admitted.

I stared at him for a second.  Normally he’d just give me a snappy reply, not an honest explanation. What was going on with this kid?

“Then how do you propose we proceed?” I asked.