Twelve: They Don't Need You

So sorry for the long wait! As I said a while ago, I had a mental breakdown and still have quite fully put myself together.  It'll be a bit longer before I return to updating this story regularly, but I'm doing my best!  Writing has a calming effect on me, and I'll never stop. 

Hope you enjoy! <3 XDee

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adrian smiled from the depths of the secret hide-out.  I stepped further into the room. 

“What’s with that smirk?”

“Is it illegal for me to smirk now?”

“No, but it’s making me nervous.”

He stepped out so we were chest-to-chest.  “I thought you didn’t get nervous.”

I gulped.  “I don’t.”

He smirked again and faced the window.  It gave me some time to catch my breath so he wouldn’t see.  I had never realized before how much he looked like Felix. 

“How about a race?”

“A race?”

“A race.”  He whipped around.  “We can greet Felix and his princess and possibly annoy them enough to separate and go to bed, rather than spend dinner time together.”

I smiled.  “Deal.”

He grabbed me by the waist before I could take off and shoved me against the wall.  I held my breath so he couldn’t tell how suddenly I no longer had any the moment he touched me.  Only Felix ever did that to me.  Why the hell was this happening?

“Where do you think you’re going?” he whispered.

“I thought we were going to race?”

He nodded.  “Yes.  But haven’t you heard?”

“Heard what?”

He smirked again, his face barely not touching mine.  “The prince always wins.”

I leaned back a little.  “Excuse me?”

“The prince always wins!” he shouted.  He pushed me to the ground, but I jumped right up and chased after him.

The loser cheated!  He knew I was going to win, so he conned me into believing he was trying to be cute or sexy or whatever he was doing - or trying to do - so he tricked me!  He pushed me down and - he tricked me!!!

“Adrian, slow down!” I called.  He sped up, being the jerk he is.  I groaned and picked up speed, too.  “Adrian!!!”

He laughed.  “What’s wrong, Harlow?  Can’t keep up?”

 “Don’t get too high on your horse, dear prince!”  I replied.  He only laughed. 

There was no denying it; he was going to win.  He always wins... but maybe not this time.

I slowed down, until I was at a slow walk.  He turned around up ahead to see why I was suddenly so quiet.  I leaned forward, clutching a fake stitch in my side.  He called out for me.  I didn’t answer.  He called out again.  I leaned further forward, smiling as he called out again.  His voice was coming closer; I grinned wider and fell forward on my stomach.  He raced to my side, worried.

“Harlow!  You okay, girl?  What’s up?” Adrian asked.  He dropped to his knees beside me and flipped me over. 

I moaned, playing this up.  He brushed a piece of hair behind my ear.  My face tingled until I felt his nose brush against my cheek.