The Day

For the first time in a long time, she sighs.

There's nothing to do!

All of her best friends are out doing things without her, she has no relatives, and there's no special someone in her life.

There's no one to do anything with.

She eventually gives into the boredom she feels and decides to go to the roof of her house. Taking a deep breath, she turns her back to the steep fall and jumps backwards.

She freefalls, her eyes closed in serenity, and cherishes the feeling of wind flowing through her hair before turning over and bolting up into the air.

To fly. It has always been her favorite thing to do, so spreading her wings and going somewhere-- anywhere-- is more than enough to rid her of her boredom.

As she soars through the sky, her wings large and wide, a smile blossoms on her face. The fresh air of the morning sweeps her hair back and rushes into her nose, calming her.

"Good morning, Erza!"

"Hello, Erza!"

"Flying again I see, Ms. Erza!"

"Wonderful morning isn't it, Erza!"

The many people of her home call out to her as she flies by. She is well known for her love of flying-- she flies for longer than the clouds, they say-- so many are familiar with her.

In the midst of her flying, however, something-- an image-- flashes in her mind. It's only for a brief moment, but it feels as if it lasts a thousand years.

Their hands, once clasped together, are ripped apart. She stares in horror as her best friend is torn away from her. Hot tears stream down her face as she screams his name.

When Erza's closed eyes open, they open slowly. Wind rushes past her face faster than before, and her eyelids soon shoot up as she is released from her daydream.

Her closed wings snap open and she is immediately propelled into the air. She lifts herself up just before crashing into some young. Her wings flap mightily, keeping her steady, but also stirring up the clouds and distressing the children.

"Sorry." she apologizes bashfully, still a little flustered from her episode. "It's okay." they chorus, adorable smiles upon their faces. Erza turns to leave when one stops her.

"Erza-nee!" a girl-- the youngest of them-- calls. Erza turns back to the group of children and lands delicately beside them. "Yes?"

"I'm gonna have big, pretty wings like yours one day!" the girl exclaims. A sincere and almost loving smile makes its way onto Erza's face as she nears the child.

She holds the girl's hands in her own. "Oh, but I bet your wings will be even prettier than mine," she turns to the two young boys beside her, "and I bet yours will be much stronger."

"Really?" they exclaim, once again, in unison. She chuckles a light, cheerful laugh. "Really."

For the rest of that day, Erza found comfort and entertainment in the people around her, not just those who were very close.

The day she pushed flying-- her favorite thing to do-- to the back of her mind, was the day she found true happiness in all the things she did, for from then on, everything was better with new faces and while making new friends.

Except for flying.

Flying reminds her of the day she remembered, and forgot in the same minute.

It reminds her of the feeling of not being happy.

Did flying. . . ?

Did it what?

From then on, Erza's life was also filled with unhappines, because she had forgotten what flying had done; what it had done to make her not happy.