"Sweet. We can finally have a hot meal."

"I'll go collect some firewood."

I passed Chloe's bone to Ben and scanned the area while the group packed their original luggage and armful of scavenged supplies into our new hangout. It only took them one trip, and once they were safely inside, I retreated to the forest. The task itself was somewhat relaxing, although the biggest perk was that the air wasn't tainted by the close proximity of humans.

My strength allowed me to break a dead tree into decent-sized pieces that wouldn't burn as fast as the small branches. By the time I made the third trip, the fire was burning merrily while Marissa stirred a pot of soup over it.

Ben walked to the edge of the roof as the sky started to darken. "The fire and the smell of the food cooking isn't going to attract too many zombies, right?"

I walked over to look around, although no zombies were in sight at this moment. I took a deep breath to test the air.

"There aren't any zombies upwind, but a few downwind may come. There shouldn't be too many in this area since it's fairly remote. The doors on this place are metal and swing outwards, so the average zombie or Runner can't get in."

"And if a Nightstalker comes?" Hank asked from his seat by the fire.

"Might be troublesome, especially if they catch your scent. Nightstalkers don't appreciate company, so I have one trick that should make them keep their distance, although it might scare the crap out of everyone here."

Nicky crossed her arms and grumbled, "Well, whatever it is, you better do it. I don't want a feral stopping by to visit."

I raised an eyebrow at the sullen woman who was still wearing her sunglasses. The heat may have taken its toll on her earlier, but her tone still rubbed my instincts the wrong way.

My lips peeled back in a predatory grin. "You were warned."

I looked up at the darkening sky and let my instincts rise past the levels I usually restricted them to. Most Nightstalkers gave their territorial scream as soon as they came out at night. The sun had halfway set, but it would be a couple of hours before it would be dark enough for ferals to come out.

I filled my lungs before releasing the signature cry of a Nightstalker, more or less claiming the town as mine for any listening Nightstalkers.

Chloe blasted back down the stairs with her tail tucked between her legs. The humans all jumped and stared at me with wide eyes. Most of those standing had even taken a step back at the inhuman sound.

After a couple seconds of silence, Nicky finally huffed, "What exactly did that accomplish?"

Yep. She wasn't in a good mood. Hopefully, a good night's sleep would help her; otherwise, I might end up strangling her.

I growled a light reprimand for her tone. "That was a Nightstalker's territorial scream. The first one to scream generally claims that hunting range for that night. If any were close enough to hear it, they should avoid this area. I'll probably repeat it in the middle of the night for any that may be wandering through."

It was similar to the First Strike rule in a way. Although if one came close enough to scent the humans, the scream wouldn't stop it from hunting. If they didn't pick up the humans' scent, then they would move farther away.

My growl didn't faze her, and the furrows on her forehead made it clear she was glaring at me from behind her sunglasses. "That seems stupid."

"If it works, that's all that matters," Ben said, shuffling back to his chair while trying to pretend it hadn't rattled him. "You just don't want to admit it scared you."