29

Jade

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was how fluffy the surface I layed on felt. I opened my eyes and immediately recognized Blake's familiar room. I looked around and saw Blake asleep in a chair he'd pulled up to the bed. He was leaned over the bed and had one arm over my legs. I looked down at myself.

There was a cast on my arm and I was wearing Blake's shirt and a pair of his sweatpants.

"Blake?" I questioned softly. I almost didn't want to wake him, he looked exhausted.

"Hmmm?" He mumbled. I reached up and moved his hair that had fallen across his face.

"Blake," I said quietly. "I'm home and I'm awake. Do you wanna come to bed?"

He slowly opened his eyes and lightly smiled at me. He sat up and strecthed.

"Hi beautiful," he mumbled. I smiled and waved causing him to chuckle. "How are you feeling?"

"I'm okay." I shrugged.

"The doctor came by," he said looking at the door. I felt my face pale knowing they probably found the cuts that Chance left on my thighs. I wasn't sure why I felt so bad about it or why I felt like I was in trouble.

"So you know then?" He nodded.

"What I don't know is who would go through all the trouble to make it look like something happened." He gave me a pointed look. "I'm willing to bet you do though."

I shook my head and tried to look as innocent and honest as I could. By his face I could tell I was a terrible actress.

"Jade," he spoke softly. "If you would just tell me, we could protect you and stop whoever this is."

"I really can't say," I looked away from him and started playing with the sheets. Twisting the threads between my fingertips.

"Why not?" He asked grabbing my chin to make me look at him.

"It's not safe. He has friends and it's just not a good situation. He'll stop and give up if you just stop chasing him. As soon as I'm out of your life he'll be done with me." I said pulling my face away from him.

"How do you know that?"

"He said you took something from him and he wants you to know how it feels. He actually thinks I mean something to you," I scoffed remembering what was written in his mother's book.

"And you don't?" He questioned. He looked hurt and I almost felt bad for my statement.

"Well how could I?"

"What are you talking about? I've shown you nothing, but kindness and... and love." He hesitated. "You already mean so much. I don't understand why you'd think you don't."

I didn't know what to say. My kidnapper basically just admitted he loved me and I felt my heart flutter at the thought, but his mother's book still haunted my thoughts.

What if it's all just a trick? Some act to make me want to fall for him? Something I'd be dumb to trust?

"You aren't even going to say anything?" He questioned.

"What do you want me to say?" I asked. He sighed and rolled his eyes.

"You do realize I'm in love with you right? I want you to say 'I love you'." He said looking at me. "I don't actually believe that's true though. How could it be? You don't even believe me."

"How am I supposed to?" I asked quietly. "You could be doing exactly what your father did to your mother. I read about how sweet he was and how kind he pretended to be."

"What?" He sounded offended. "You think I'm just trying to gain your trust so I can hurt you? You think this is some kind of game? I'm not him. I gave you that book so you could see what my mother was like not so you could compare me to something awful. I'm a monster, but I'm not him. I'd take monster over him any day."

He looked genuinely hurt. What was I supposed to say? I'd just brought tears to one of the most feared men in the state's eyes.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. He didn't speak. He just sat on the bed next to me and slowly leaned towards me before very lightly kissing my lips.

"I love you, Jade." He whispered. I couldn't help, but smile a little at his statement before I leaned forward and got lost with him him in a long passionate kiss.