Unlike her though, I'm the total opposite of what I just described. I'm not exactly slim like she is. I have curves in. . . Well a lot of places. Some flatter me more than others, on a good day. It just depends on the type of clothing I decide to wear. I try to project confidence any chance I get, but the truth is that I don't have any. She wasn't helpful with that at all, she might've made it worse by never complimenting me.

I'm not seeking to be what I know I'm not, though. I'd rather wear jeans and a t-shirt than her expensive clothes. She's living off of unemployment after being fired a few months ago from her last job for constantly being late, and arguing with her boss. She says he was the asshole but that's debatable.

Had it not been for me finding a job almost two years ago, we wouldn't have the roof over our heads that we currently do. It's not the greatest job in the world, but working at Connor's Diner has kept us fed and clothed, for the most part.
I am the breadwinner, I work for our living, all three of us. Jason's only thirteen, he needs me, he needs an authoritative figure in his life, he doesn't get that with our mother, she's hardly ever home. I can't recall the last time she ever bought him a new pair of jeans or shirt.

Everything my brother owns is what I have bought him with my money. He's my only family, he's the only thing I've got. So I continue to fight the odds every single day for the kid. I take a lot of responsibility for only being eighteen. I'd like to think my mindset makes me much older than my actual age.

Alas, today is finally my last day living here, and the feeling is a little scary. I'm entering an entirely new environment with people I've never met in my life. I don't know what to expect, but it can't be any worse than this small town. But the excitement in me doesn't stay too far behind, this is the first step to a long journey. The only thing that pains me is leaving Jason behind, but the kid's tough, he's tougher than me and he will be fine.

After going through my drawers and making a mess of what's left in them, I spot the bracelet between a couple of old shirts. "Gotcha." I murmur. It's the only thing I've got left of my father. It's one of the few good memories I have of him. He gave it to me around my eight birthday, and for every year following that one, he'd add a charm of things that I loved. It's special, it brings me all the luck in the world.

A light knock then appears at my door, slowly creaking as Jason squeezes through the small opening. "Vi, can I come in?"

"You're already in, bud." I snort a laugh. He walks in cautiously, sitting down on my old bed. "What's up ?" I ask, joining the kid on the rusty thing. His facial expression tells me something's bothering him, as if I have to guess why when the answer is blatantly obvious.

He doesn't want me to go.

"So you're leaving? For good?" His tone shatters my heart. If only I could take him with me. Leaving him with our mom is the last thing I would want for Jason. I don't doubt that she cares for him, she just doesn't care enough.

But after dealing with her for eighteen years, it's definitely time for a break away from her.

"Not for good Jason." I remind him. "The school isn't too far from here, I can come visit you on the weekends," I continue, "besides you know you can call me whenever." I'm always going to be one phone call away.

Jason nibbles on his lip and processes that bit of information. "You know mom is going to drive me nuts. How am I supposed to make it another five years with her before I head off to college too?"

"I've gone eighteen years bud, it's not impossible." I try humoring him but he's not having it. The furrowing of his eyebrows and narrowed eyes stay put. "Look Jason, you'll be okay. The diner is working with my new schedule for school. I'll come by every weekend and bring you money for anything you need. We both know she won't, I'm still taking care of you." I mess his with his hair and manage to pull a smile out of him.