CHAPTER EIGHT

Deciding she'd wasted far too much time in brooding, Diana decided to put both men firmly from her mind. She determined in roads on her second day at work to the constant accompaniment of the telephone as she got calls after calls.

She had been given the lists of the company partners and customers on her first day at work as it should be been the manager she is, at least assistant to Ryan Murray which she had also been briefed by him.

   She was absorbed in a conversation with one of the company director under Boukjay's  company when a knock on the door interrupted her discussion on a solution to a problem with the new shopping centres under construction on the outskirts of the town.

"Come in" she called absently, still in deep in facts and figures, then glanced up to see Ryan.

She went on with her conversation, making sure to remain impassive as he watched, but after a minute or two she put an end to the discussion, promising the director a more efficient and effective strategy on how to resolve the said problem the next day.

   Diana found it was a definite advantage to face Ryan  across the bastion of her own desk. She smiled politely.

   "Won't you sit down, Mr Murray?"  

"Thank you, and please it is Ryan. Calling Mr Ryan makes me feel older than I am" he clarified as he took the seat she indicated, which he did relaxed looking about him the spick and span order of the room as he couldn't be more impressed how Diana had transformed the room.

  "I couldn't help overhearing, you carry quite an armoury of facts in your head Diana.

" well you know what they say, the human mind is a better computer than any machine invented by man" Diana injected.

"I'm impressed. Your Ex- boss must have been a scumbag to let you go"

Diana smiled at his choice of words, she wasn't that surprised she possessed the good fortune to have such a brain stored with an enormous quantity of data that she rarely needed recourse to files and records, an asset her Ex-boss found invaluable. She smiled basically not because of the compliment but she was finally where she was valued. 

  "I just spoke to the surveyor developer of the new shopping centers" she began as Ryan leaned back to listen to her.

    Alex fourth week had become hectic than he had expected. Opening the door to his office he waved to Rachel sitted where she should, her gaze  fixed on the computer before her, moving the mouse when necessary and typing vigorously after returning his greeting with a wide smile.

  Stepping inside his office he closed the door with a soft click . he crossed over to relax on his seat.

Just last week he had asked Diana to dinner which she had refused flatly but he wasn't planning on leaving it at that.

"You start early" Alex said from Diana"s door way thirty minutes later.

"Good morning, I did knock, you were to busy to hear"

  "Good morning. Can I do anything for you sir?"

Surely he didnt want an answer straight away. Diana pushed the documents in front of her to her side ad she looked at him in query.

"I was wondering what time Ryan resumes work?" 

"About this time" she replied almost immediately.

    He surprised her perching himself on the corner of her desk. He looked alert and fit. His eyes clear, his black hair glossy,his shirt pristinely white above a dark suit cut with a skill to match any of Ryan own. She was taking notice of him too far she mentally scolded herself.

"Do you wish to speak with Ryan. Mr Alex?"

"Don't say that"   Diana looked up at him in surprise. He got up and walked towards the door.

"I meant it sound ludicrous for you to keep calling 'Mr Alex' under the circumstances, I answer very well to Alex, you know I like and am interested in you Diana" he said softly so don't make it look awkward than it is already.

To say the least Diana couldn't find any word to reply him so she just sat there with her mouth agape with her looking screaming surprise. Both of them didn't speak for few minutes.

  Finally Alex raised his hand to open the door knob

" when Ryan Finally designs to put in an appearance, give me a ring, will you, I'd like to talk to you both straight away before I see the the other work force." He said as he opened the door without waiting for her reply.

"Okay" Diana said into her empty office as a weird feeling settled on her as couldn't quite define neither decipher what it was.

***

    Forty minutes later. Once the two of them were in Alex office. She and Ryan was seated in front of the large mahogany desk, Alex pretending to be at ease in the swivel chair behind it, he went straight to the point, demanding facts and figures relevant to everything accompanied in the sales sector under Ryan directorial area in the company.

Time and time again Ryan paused in his discussion to turn to Diana and each time she swiftly supplied the necessary information, her voice unobtrusive as she filled in the gap. Which only made Alex to feel a fire of jealousy igniting in him, the way Ryan had looked at Diana, he saw that he relied on her for everything.

At the end of one of the most uncomfortable hours Diana had spent in her entire life, Alex rose to his feet with a bland smile on his face as he thanked them both.

  "I"m grateful to both of you for your time. Ryan muttered something as he left.

Diana made no comment as she packed papers into folders, aware of Alex closeness.

  "Now, have you made any decision about what I said earlier?" He asked briskly moving closer to her as they were now alone.

This was not happening now, was it? Diana wondered as she took a step back from Alex.