Chapter 3

I got down to the dining table for breakfast. Mom was already getting ready to leave. I stared at the plate of scrambled eggs and glass of orange juice.

Is it okay if I don't go to school today? I asked, moving the egg around with my fork.

Why? Do you not feel well? My mother asked, as she came up to me to feel my forehead.

You seem just fine. You're not running a temperature, honey. She smiled as she picked up her bag and car keys.

I'm okay. I just...I don't feel like going, that's all. I knew I wasn't making a reasonable enough of an argument. But it was worth a try.

I'm afraid you can't bail. This is the third time in the week that you are asking for a leave! I'm sorry sweety but you can't miss so much of school! Now eat up. Your bus should be here any minute.

It's like she doesn't get me. She doesn't want to get me. If dad were here, he would've understood.

Forget offering to give me a ride to school. She didn't even ask if anything was bothering me! If I was so unwanted, she should've never had me in the first place!

Angry, I pushed my plate aside and walked past her out and into the street to wait for my bus. I could feel my eyes burn and tears well up.

When did I become such a mess?

Baby, you should go finish your breakfast or you will be hungry later on. My mom followed me into the streets.

What do you care? Go away! I brushed her hand off my shoulder.

Mel, are you crying? Oh my god! Sweety, what happened? Is there something you want to talk about?

Wow. She was doing a good job pretending to be concerned.

Now you notice?! You don't need to pretend,okay? Just let me be! I almost screamt as I wiped off my tears and waited for the damn bus, my back facing my mom.

She waited there a minute or two before walking away. She was so hard to figure out! One minute it feels like she cares. But the very next, it seems as though she is only doing everything out of duty.

Me and my mother have never been close. Ever since I was a baby, she was never really in my life. Always at the hospital. Most of my childhood pictures are only of me and my dad.

Whenever I tried asking my dad why she was the way she was, he said she loved her job. She loved helping people.

How about starting with that job at home? I would always say.

That's a very rude thing to say, Melissa. Your mother and I are doing all of this just so you can have a bright and carefree future. We don't want you to have to struggle the way we did. He would say.

But then how is it that you find the time to be with me but she never does!

Well, that is because I work at a place where I can leave some stuff for others to finish. I don't have to be there all the time. But your mother, if she does even so much as go to the bathroom, someone could die!

Then does she not pee at all?

Oh! I never thought of that! Maybe she's superwoman! Maybe we will secretly try and find out! And he would come around and tickle me and all would be forgotten.

I miss you dad. I sighed as I saw the bus approach. Another day of hell.

Welcome aboard, you w**s. Said Andy. He was one of the meanest bullies you could come across.

I approached a seat to sit on.

Sorry. That seat's taken. Said Natasha Penfield.

But you're sitting right at the back of the bus. Why do you want to catch a seat for your friends right in the front?

Well, blondie, because, that seat is saved for some meaningful person. Anyone, but you! She squealed.

Well thought! Andy gave her a high five. That b**ch ain't sitting nowhere!

Hey! Language! The driver shouted.

They didn't seem to care. They just made weird faces behind his back. I stood all the way till we reached school.

Just as we stepped into the hallway, somebody's chewed gum got stuck to the bottom of my shoe. I'm sure that person must've done it on purpose.

In the midst of trying to take it off and getting my books from my locker, I was late for class.

When I got there, Mrs. Lawson looked at me from the end of her nose.

Late again, miss Crawford?  What was it this time? A black cat crossed your way and you had to take a longer route to school?

The entire class broke into a laughter.

Silence! I will not hear a single giggle. Go take your seat, Melissa. This is the last time I'm letting you in late. Last warning.

She motioned for me to go sit with her evil eyes. I could feel her gaze cut through my body.

Head held low, I got to the end of the class and sat there.

As I took my notebook out, I happened to look at the person sitting to my left.

Yep. You guessed it. Samuel Richards.

My heart almost stopped. In all these months, I had never sat next to him. He usually sat with his gang in the middle of the room. Today, He was right at the end of the classroom.

He looked at me and smiled. It made me melt. His smile was so gorgeous. It could melt the hardest of hearts. I really hope Megan gets his charming smile.

I quickly looked in the other direction. I didn't want to talk to him. What if the topic about Megan slipped out of my mouth?

I would be an even bigger joke in school! Plus, if people got to know that Samuel was the father, they would call me a liar, he would never believe it and his gang would make my life miserable.

Not that they already didn't.

I spent the entire lecture, sulking. Then, when I couldn't solve a sum, everyone booed me and I got sent to the principal's office, again for not finishing my homework, again.

As I walked the silent corridors, I thought of what my life had become. I was a joke. I was the universe's joke. I was useless. It was as though I had been born for the sole purpose of being pushed around! It was getting harder and harder to get through each day.

Maybe, finally, I wouldn't make it through the end of this day. Was it possible to die of heart break? I madly hoped for the answer to be yes.