Chapter 4

I knocked on the door before entering into the waiting area of the principal's office.

Cindy was at her desk, as usual, typing away on her computer.

I was always amazed by the speed at which she could type. The clicking sound of the keyboard somehow was very relaxing to me.

I smiled at her as I took my seat on a chair. It was my spot in the waiting area. Like it was reserved for me.

Oh! Good morning Melissa! How nice to see you! So, what brings you here today? She spoke as she noticed me walk in.

I hated the way she always asked me that question. It's as though she was mocking me. I mean, obviously she knows why I'm here! I'm not out giving invitations to a party! Then why ask?!

Just the usual. Didn't get my homework done again. I said, curtly.

Oh sweety, this is not good. That's almost your 4th time here this week! You have got to get your head in the game. Your finals are approaching soon. You have to work harder than this if you want to pass.

I knew she was right but it felt as though she was taking great satisfaction in addressing the fact that I was in trouble.

After about 5 minutes in the waiting area, I was called into the principal's office.

Mrs. Rock wasn't exactly surprised to see me there. She had a poker face when I slowly walked inside, head held low.

Mrs. Rock was a huge woman. She was tall, hefty and looked as though she had come right from military practice or something. I was scared she would squish me someday in rage.

What is it this time, Crawford? Did you fail a test again? She sounded so disgusted by me, it hurt.

No ma'am. I forgot to do my homework. I'm sorry. It won't happen again. I started to get up from my seat, thinking this conversation was over.

There is no next time, Melissa. I'm calling your mother in today to tell her what is going on. Though I'm pretty sure she already knows. Anyway, I want the three of us to have a serious discussion of your future here, in this school. It doesn't look very bright to me.

I felt my eyes well up. I could see my life crumble in front of my eyes. I started to cry.

Please ma'am, give me one last chance. Please! I promise I will try to do better.

Mrs. Rock shook her head. I'm sorry, Melissa. But I have to talk to your mother. Your performance has consistently been deteriorating. I need you to wait outside till your mother comes in.

I cried and cried as I stepped out of the office. When Cindy saw me crying, she rushed to me with a box of tissue papers.

Melissa, what's wrong? Why are you crying? Cindy asked, wiping my face.

My life is over! I'm never going to get anywhere! They will throw me out and mom will be very upset. Dad would not have been happy to see this.

Oh sweety. Don't be upset. I'm sure it will be okay. She lightly patted by back and placed the box of tissues on my lap.

Nothing's ever going to be okay! Mom will have to take me out from this school and then I won't get a place in another! What will I ever do?! I sobbed uncontrollably. I cried so much that my breath was caught in my throat and I gasped for air.

Cindy hugged me tight. Don't worry Melissa. I think I know how to help you.

You do? I asked, looking at her with expectant eyes.

She brushed her fingers through my hair and walked to her desk. She dialled someone on the phone.

As I waited for my mother to burst in through the doors to the principal's office, Mrs. Rock walked into the waiting area.

I called your mother, Crawford. But I'm afraid she cannot come in today because she is very busy at the hospital. She isn't free anytime this week so I have decided to give you this one very last chance. Take it or I'm afraid I'm going to have to let you go. Cindy, please keep my briefcase in my car, I have a meeting to attend. She said as she left the room.

I let out a sigh of relief and secretly thanked the heavens for keeping my mother so busy today. I could not screw up this time. I just could not.

Note: Hello my fellow readers! I am very sorry for a late post but I have been very busy lately. This is a short chapter but I hope you like it. Do not forget to like and comment!