Chapter 1

Dream sequence:

I was walking down the school corridors as children pointed at me and laughed. I tried hiding under the hood of my sweat shirt. No use. I felt my skin heat up.

Loser! Loser! They called out.

She can't even get decent grades on any test. What a dumba**! Not good at studies, Never shows up for any sports practice. Why is she even alive? Some of those scornful girls shouted out in my direction and gave out an evil chuckle.

I could feel a pit sink into my stomach. I had a heavy lump in my throat.

Ignoring all the name-calling, I entered my math class. Just as I walked in, I saw Mrs. Lawson stand in front of me with my test sheets in her hand. I gulped.

You have barely made it again this time, Melissa. This is not going to work. I'm going to have to call in your parents. She said sternly as I held my answer sheets, D. I had worked so hard. Was it my fault if I couldn't remember all the stuff in time? Did I deserve the D? Probably. I am dumb anyway.

My mom cannot come to get me. She is working her shift at the hospital.. I stuttered.

Then we will have to call your father, won't we? She reasoned.

He...He's no more. He died last year.

I couldn't take it anymore. The thought of dad dying made me not want to stay there. I ran out and hid in the girl's bathroom.

As I sat there, crying I heard Cindy calling out for me. Cindy was the principal's assistant. My only friend. I got sent to the principal's office so many times, she was the only one who spoke to me nicely.

Mel, sweetheart, are you in there? I need to talk to you.

After about 2 minutes of Cindy calling out to me, I came out, wiping my tears to my sleeves.

Oh my god! What have you been crying for? Your eyes have become so red and swollen? How will you talk to them now?

Talk to who? Why would anyone want to meet me? Nobody likes to talk to me.

The Jensons! They're here! They said they had something to talk to about Megan!

The moment I heard Megan's name, my ears perked up. Megan is my daughter. Yes, my daughter that I had at 16. I had given her away to this couple who couldn't have kids. I possibly couldn't look after her, my mother thought. I was too young. But what did they want now? I had given them my most precious possession.

As I walked into the principal's office to see them, I noticed they had brought Megan with them. All so beautiful and pure.

She looked at her surroundings in awe, with her big blue eyes that were just like her father's. Her little nose that looked like a cute small button, only made her look more adorable. I still remember holding her. Her skin, softer than feathers, white as snow. She smelt like daisies the day I had given her away. I hadn't stopped crying for 2 straight days after that..

How did you know I went here? I asked the Jensons.

Your mother gave me the address to your school. Look, Melissa, we have some sad news. I was worried, I could feel sweat trickle down my forehead. I waited, my breath held, for them to go on.

The thing is, we don't want to keep Megan anymore. I mean, your grades are so low! You are not good at anything! We don't want a daughter who grows up to be a loser like you. And what if she too gets pregnant so young? Sorry, please take her back.

I gasped. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I started backing away. Why was all this happening to me? What had I ever done to deserve this?

As I backed up, I turned around to run, away from this nightmare. But just then, my foot tripped over something and I fell to the ground. Everything went black.

Author's note: Hello fellow readers! So this is the first chapter of this book. Through a dream sequence, it gives you a brief idea of what Melissa's life is like. A brief view into her past. I hope you liked it. Please do vote and comment. I shall post the next chapter soon. Happy reading!