toy store girl

"You're coming home with me."

At the words, Lauren frowns, but doesn't pay much attention. She's too busy looking for a Simba to match her Nala, and that's why she'd come to the toy store in the first place.

When she feels something poke her in the arm, Lauren jumps back and looks over to her mother, who is talking on the phone and not watching.

"Aren't you listening?" The voice says, and Lauren turns around to see a little girl around her age. Instantly, Lauren recoils, because she doesn't know this girl, and she's not sure what to say to kids her age.

When she makes eye contact for a split second, the girl smiles. "Good! You're listening. You've got to come with me, my mami is over there."

Lauren frowns, not sure why she has to go with this girl. She looks over at her mom, and Clara smiles down at her, mouthing something a little too quickly. Lauren doesn't know what she's saying, so she shrugs and turns back to the girl.

"You have to come with me." The girl says again, but when Lauren doesn't move, she pouts and turns to her own mother. "Mami! She's not coming with me."

At the girl's voice, a woman comes over, and frowns down at her daughter. "Karla, mija, what are you talking about?"

"Her!" The girl, Karla, points at Lauren. "You said I could have one thing in the whole store, and I want her. But she's not coming with me."

The woman laughs, and says something in Spanish, but it's too quick for Lauren to understand. Then, she turns to her daughter and says, "No, mija, you're allowed any toy in the whole store. You can't have a person."

"But why not?" Karla pouts. "I like her. Excuse me, but do you want to come home with me? My mami can buy you for me and you can be my friend."

At the word friend, Lauren gets excited, because she's never had one of those, so she nods and looks over at the lady hopefully. "'es. Fwend."

"See!" Karla exclaims. "She wants to come with me. Can I keep her, mami? She can be my friend."

"Mija, she's not a dog," the woman laughs, "you can't just take another kid home. Come on, we need to find her parents."

Lauren points over at her mom, and as she does, Clara hangs up the phone and comes over. "Have you found your Simba yet, Lauren."

"Her name is Lauren?" Karla asks, and when Clara nods, a little confused, the little girl clears her throat and says. "Excuse me, missus, but I'd like to buy her, 'cause my mami says I'm allowed one thing in the store, and I want her. She's pretty."

At the words, Lauren blushes, and Clara laughs. "I'm sorry, sweetie, but you can't buy Lauren. Maybe your mami can find you a nice doll."

Lauren looks up, disappointed. "Fwend!"

"Maybe we could set up a playdate for you and your new friend." Clara smiles, and Lauren giggles happily.

Karla doesn't look too happy. "But I want her to come home with me! My mami said I can have one thing, and I want her."

"Karla, don't make a scene," Sinu says, "I can exchange numbers with Lauren's mami and you can meet her some time. Maybe you can go to the park."

Karla stamps her foot. "I want her to come home with me now."

Lauren blinks, watching as Clara gives Sinu her number, and when Sinu tells Karla that they're going, the little girl grabs onto Lauren's arm. Lauren doesn't like that.