internet friends

Camila starts posting covers online and makes friends with an anonymous commenter.

-

Camila isn't an outgoing person by any means.

She's shy and introverted, keeping to herself in school and spending her nights in her room, reading books or scrolling through Tumblr. That's why her two best and only friends, Dinah and Ally, are incredibly surprised when she pastes a link in their group chat and tells them she's posted her first official cover on YouTube.

It'd taken her a lot of thought and debate to actually post it, and she's glad for the thirty viewers she gets – she knows she won't go viral, she's fairly certain she's just mediocre – and Ally, Dinah and her family all like the video.

(Granted, she kind of forces her mom and dad to make a YouTube account purely for that.)

The YouTube thing becomes a regular part of her week – she'll film a video, make sure she didn't mess up and that the audio is okay, and then upload it – and nothing really changes other than that.

Her regular routine is disrupted, however, by week four of video uploading. Because she gets a comment and a like from someone other than her best friends or her family.

lm1975 – This is really beautiful. You're an amazing singer, you have such a unique voice and you should showcase it more often. :)

A little surprised that she's actually gotten a comment from someone, complimenting her on her voice, Camila has to take a few minutes to formulate a decent response. She gets there eventually.

camilacabello97 – thank you so much! means a lot that you'd take the time to comment something as nice as that.

She's even more shocked when she gets a notification straight away, signalling that her new has replied.

lm1975 – You're welcome. You go to my school, actually. I didn't know you could sing like this. You should audition for the talent show next year or something. You're really amazing.

That gets her suspicious, because nobody from her school ever notices her, and the last thing she wants is for her videos to be spread around and for people to make fun of her, because she kind of likes flying under the radar.

camilacabello97 – haha, don't think I'll be performing in front of people for a while, i'm kind of nervous about things like that. you go to my school? are you in one of my classes or something?

lm1975 – We share a few classes. And before you ask, I'd prefer to stay anonymous. Anyway, love the video, and can't wait for your next one. You should cover something from The 1975. I love them. :)

She doesn't reply to that message, and instead, scrolls through her Spotify to look for a song. Maybe if she does this, her anonymous commenter will reveal their identity.

At least, she hopes. It'd be nice to have another friend.

-

When she arrives at school the next day, she tells Dinah and Ally all about her new commenter, pulling them into the table at the back of the library, where they always sit. She explains that they're from the school, and while Ally's incredibly happy for her, Dinah isn't too sure.

"It could be a prank," Dinah points out, and Camila's thought through that possibility already. "It could be someone trying to mess with you, and I don't want anyone ruining this for you. You've been happier this past month now that you're getting your creativity out."

"I just want to find out who it is," Camila murmurs, "I hope it's a girl."

Dinah snorts. "What, are you going to try asking this girl out if she finally reveals herself?"