He looked down at her calmly, his face a blur through her tears. "Come with me and rest."

"I hate you!" How dare he speak to her so gently, as if he cared for her pain, as if he would comfort her? How dare he?

"I know you do. I know." He freed one of her hands and put his arm around her shoulders.

"Do you need help with her, Matei?" asked someone passing by.

"No. I go to my rest. See that the rotation is observed and take yours when it comes. All these people need rest and food, but we must keep the watch. I've put Oreon in charge of gathering the names of the dead. Find someone to help him."

"Understood."

Matei guided Mhera through the tables that now served as beds for the wounded. The world smelled of blood, dirt, sweat, smoke ... Kaori's face floated through her mind, his sweat-dampened hair clinging to his forehead, what was left of his arm still smoking from the spell that had taken it. Matei's arm around her shoulder was heavy. When they stepped out of the longhouse, she realized that it was early morning.

How had so much happened in one night?

Mhera had assumed they would go to the infirmary, but Matei led her toward the council house instead. It was dark when they entered; there was no one there. At last, when the door was closed behind them, Matei released her.

She stood there for a moment, realizing how tired she was. And how filthy. Her hands and her dress were soiled with sweat, blood, and worse. Matei looked no better. He had a cut on his forearm that hadn't been bandaged. Had the blow struck true, it might have taken his hand. She wished it had—for a start. Then he might feel a fraction of the pain Kaori had felt, if he was still alive to feel it.

"Sleep now. I will take you to the prince when you wake."

Mhera replied in a flat, dull tone. "Aun said she would call for me if he died."

"Then he must live still."

"Not for long. Not here. The only reason I live is because you need me. You do not need him." If the matter of Mhera's execution had been debated as soon as she crossed into Hanpe, she knew Kaori could not survive. Perhaps, by begging Aun to save his life, she had simply prolonged his pain.

"He is more use to us alive than dead," Matei said. "I set a guard on the infirmary."

Mhera turned away from him. She looked around the room, unsure where to go.

"The cot in the corner," said Matei.

Mhera lay down on top of the blanket. She curled in on herself and closed her eyes, hoping she would not dream.

...

A hand shook her shoulder, startling her awake. She looked blearily around, seeing nothing at first but the dark wooden wall. All the same, the first thought that came to her was: Kaori is dead.

"Mhera."

She turned, pulling back from Matei's hand. Her voice was heavy with sleep. "What?"

"Wake up now. It's afternoon."

She sat up, blinking the sleep from her eyes. Her muscles were stiff and sore.

"Here. I found you some clothes. Not sure they'll fit. And there's water. You'll want to clean up."

Mhera noticed that Matei had scrubbed the worst grime from his face and hands, but his clothes were still filthy with dirt and blood. Looking around the council house, where there were no interior walls or screens behind which to hide, she shook her head. "No."