Chapter Five

After being caught digging in the paper rubbish last night my mom and dad had begun to give me a full lecture on bedtimes and not making a noise if I can't sleep.

Of course they had asked why I was digging in the bin, which I in all honesty had no answer for.

I simply apologised for making a racket so early in the morning and then began to pick up the pieces of scattered paper all over the floor. Still looking for that newspaper.

It didn't turn up. It should have turned up. I sighed and shoved everything back into the bin, when my mother asked me what was wrong.

I looked up and said," I can't find the newspaper with the daily times, the one with the missing people."

She shook her head, in a clear 'well, I don't know look'. I ignored her and got up to get dressed. I still had school today and didn't want to be late, again.

I rushed upstairs and chucked on a pair of ripped skinny jeans and a tank top. My hair I left loose, as always, and I brushed my teeth before leaving.

By the time I had reached the school I had completely forgotten that I had work to catch up on. And it wasn't going to be quick either.

I groaned: I simply hated catching up, in fact, I dreaded it. To me it was a normal thing among teenagers, but to my parents it was completely unnormal

Either way, it was going to have to get done, whether I liked it or not.

I dumped my schoolbag onto the floor next to my desk and sat down. Ms Mary gave me a look but I didn't care. I wasn't in the mood for her.

She greeted the rest of the class and seated everyone, still giving me a dirty look, and began to take register.

By the time it had come to my name I was already in my own world, thinking about the house.

"Stephanie!" Ms Mary yelled, her throat visible to half the world. "Yes ma'am!" I screamed back.

Ms Mary glared at me. I knew what she was going to say, how dare I talk back. How dare I scream. And I was right, because she began to lecture me.

I rolled my eyes and stared at her, she was a short woman, maybe in her sixtys, she had white hair and green eyes.

"Detention." She announced. I raised my eyebrows and shook my head. I wasn't going. And I think we both knew it.

The bell rang and I hauled my books out of my Nike schoolbag. I had just pulled open the workbook when something flew at my head. I picked it up of the desk and looked at it, it was a scrunched up note. I turned around and looked at Tiffany. She waved. I waved back and then turned around.

I opened the note and began to read.

Are you going to go to detention?

I pulled out a pen and wrote a firm no on the paper. I rolled it to Tiffany.

It didn't take long for the paper to roll back to me.

How are you not going? Ms Mary will catch you. Steph, don't get into any trouble. Okay?

I looked up from the note at Ms Mary's desk to think about my reply; and once I did I had an idea.

I quickly scribbled on the paper telling Tiffany to distract ma'am while I grabbed the newspaper of her desk and walked out the door. Tiffany didn't like the idea, I could see it on her face, but in the end she nodded, caving in.

Tiffany took her scissor out and cut her finger open, just a little. I knew she was doing that to by me more time, talking wouldn't cut it.

Tiffany let out a groan of pain which attracted the whole classes attention, including Ms Mary's. Everyone began to crowd around her while Ms Mary spoke to her.

I got up threw everything of mine into my bag and walked past picking up Ms Mary's newspaper.

Opening the door I dashed out onto the corridor and ran. I needed not to be caught.

Luckily for me, I didn't get caught. After I had made it out of the school gates I ran over to the park where I could read the newspaper about the missing kids.

***

After scanning through the article once more I packed up the newspaper and secured my bag onto my shoulders. Tiffany didn't know that I planned to skip school to visit the house, I intentionally left that out of my note, telling her that I just wanted to go out for a bit. And telling her that I would come back.

I made my way to and through the forest where I landed up on the street. I walked up the street until the house came into view. I shivered. Even though the sun was shining it felt like water was dripping down my neck. I was cold. Maybe I should go home, I thought. I didn't want to be missing next, and especially since Tiffany didn't even know where I was.

I began to turn around, and that's when I heard it: Girls screaming, and the sound of laughter booming throughout the street. Like a curious cat my ears perked. I slowly turned around and let the curiosity get the better of me.

I dropped my backpack and walked closer towards the burnt down house.