Eight- What Am I Going To Do?

Blake

I woke up on the floor, face buried in a pillow that was quite obviously my sister's. I ripped my face from it, nearly choking on the perfume. She wasn't much for wearing it, but her room smelled like a freaking Hollister store. I groaned as I rolled onto my back, my shoulder blades sore from not stretching my wings for a long time. I felt my tail swing around, pulling itself out from under me. Stretching lazily, I yawned, then nearly shit myself as I heard a small scuffling sound in my bed.

My neck could have snapped, I whipped it towards the noise so quickly. It took me a minute to compute what I was looking at. Messy- but obviously usually immaculate- blonde hair. Bright baby blue eyes that could compete with a kitten. A sweet kind of look to her, like an angelic little creature-

Wren.

I fell onto the perfume-y pillow in relief, letting out a huge sigh as I covered my face with my hands. "Oh, dear Jesus effing Christ," I whispered through my palms, taking deep breaths.

After a few moments, I sat up abruptly, making the angel jump slightly. I gave her an apologetic look, then grit my teeth. "Do you know how badly you scared me?" I growled, baring my teeth slightly. My tail lashed around, and I glared at her.

Wren didn't seem fazed. "You're not actually mad at me, are you?" She smirked and gave me a smug look. So much for being angelic. "You're just mad that you freaked out in front of a girl," she continued, crossing her arms.

I felt my face grow hot. I looked down, and probably looked like a pouting child with my arms crossed stubbornly, my tail flicking restlessly, and my set jaw. I grumbled to myself, and I heard a tiny snicker. I growled at her, but I knew it was futile. She could see right through me, she knew I didn't hate her, knew that I couldn't hurt her. Could I...? I didn't want to think about it. Hurting people wasn't really my style.

Not wanting to face any further embarrassment, I stood up, picked up my pillow, and threw it onto the bed, making sure I missed Wren. I grumbled as I walked to my closet, grabbed a clean shirt and jeans, and proceeded to walk out of my room. I stopped, though, when I heard Wren's voice behind me. I turned around, and she was standing right there. I took a slight step back, not enjoying the closeness of our bodies.

"Wait," she said, so I did. I watched her, lingering there until she spoke. "Are you just going to throw on something without even caring what it is?" She sounded genuinely appalled, and I had to hold in my laughter.

"I'm a guy, Wren," I began, "I don't give two shits about if it 'matches' or not. I'm not going on some date, I just need to be clean." She rolled her eyes, so I rolled mine back. Wren seemed annoyed by that, so I stuck my tongue out and left for the bathroom, but again, I was stopped. Damn. Wren needed clothes, too.

"Just gimme a minute," I mumbled, sending her a sideways glance. I strode into the bathroom, set my clothes down, and turned on the shower. Turning to gaze at myself in the mirror for a moment, I thought that for a second I looked older. Hah. I wouldn't have been surprised if I actually looked older, considering the freaking angel in my bedroom. I had to feed her, clothe her, make sure my sister or parents didn't see her... Jesus. It was like having a secret puppy.

I shook my head, my dark hair falling into my eyes. I brushed it away, grumbling as I knocked on my sister's door. No answer.

Good.

I opened the door, sighing with relief. Valerie usually left pretty early on Saturday mornings to get coffee with El. They didn't have a car(as if I'd let my little sister drive!), but the nearest Starbucks was close enough that they would leave me alone to go there.

I was careful with the drawers and her closet, knowing that Valerie was tidy as hell and if something was out of place- well, I wouldn't have a head anymore. Carefully I picked out some clothing that I knew Valerie wouldn't miss; just a plain old Red Sox tee-shirt and nice, but slightly ripped, yoga-type sweatpants. It wasn't Prada, and I knew if I looked harder I could find something nicer for Wren, but I really didn't want to get chewed out by my sister.

Walking into my room again to find Wren sitting on my bed with a lost look, I gently set the clothes beside her.

"If you need underwear, get it yourself because that would just be creepy for me to do it." I said, hoping to get a laugh from her.

And I did. It made me feel good about myself. "You really dropped the ball on matching clothes," Wren laughed, picking up the sweatpants and tee. I shrugged, because I didn't really care. "I'm just glad I don't have to go anywhere in this." She giggled slightly, and I snorted, rolling my eyes(though I didn't mean it to be rude). Wren looked up at me, and I felt myself flush again. "Thank you," Wren said, blue eyes bright and sweet. All I did was nod and carefully remove myself from my room.

The water was still running in the shower, and I was glad to see that it was warm. We had a strange house that took forever to heat water in our bathrooms. It sucked, but I kind of liked the house's quirks. Made it kind of like a person. It wasn't perfect, and that was what I loved about it.

I thought about music and the book I had finished as I showered. What was the name of the book again? Some science fiction shit. I had liked it, but Valerie had always made fun of me for liking it. She said it was fantasy, just renamed to make guys feel better about reading it. I had rolled my eyes at her and told her that that was a stupid idea, and why would she ever think of that.

"Damn," I said aloud, feeling a sudden pang of guilt. I was a bitch to my sister.

Maybe I would have to change that.

Ah, gods! Was I already letting Wren's virtuousness get to me?

I turned the water off, shaking my head to get some of the water out so I didn't drip all over the floor. I grabbed my towel, wiping my face and drying my hair. I let out an annoyed huff as I felt uncertainty and unwillingness wrap itself around me. What am I going to do?

~

OH MAH GAWDS

Dudes, I'm back! And I wrote the eighth chapter. WHAAAAT? That's right! How awesome am I?!