22

Hello friends. Here's another lame update (: here we go
(btw I changed face claim)

+

+

+

CARL

The white van rumbled away with the crunching of gravel and rocks suffocating under the worn tires. I stared as long as I could at the people leaving in the bus- most intensely at Skye sitting solely in one of the dirty windows- and I could not help but feel the faintest of tears leak from my eyes.

That's weak. Stop it. You don't want anyone to see your weakness do you? I though harshly.

I turned forcefully and walked away from the scene before anyone else, clenching the innocent necklace in my calloused palm and feeling the imaginary burning feeling that heated my skin. The necklace could possibly be all I had left of Skye Roberts. It was a reminder and a curse all at once.

My hope had always been stale- given the end of the world, my mother's death, and the horrible outcomes of the trials I faced with the group- but this, oh this... the feeling of hopelessness that pounded through my body was beyond explanation. My family was already crippling; I only had a father who was almost too far gone and a sister too ephemeral for the world, but besides those two, I had very few people I loved. And one of those very few people I cared for was Skye. But she was now far away from me and my hope was failing even more. For Skye Roberts was leaving me- and if I failed to see her again in this life, it was yet another thing I cared about in the world to fall to ruined waste.

She was leaving. Just like she always did.

"Carl." I heard Michonne's voice call me out as I stalked away from the group with demanding steps. "Carl!" She repeated, her voice pleading for me to come back.

But I didn't turn around and only kept going until I shoved open the doors and stomped inside the building with a harshness that truly didn't belong in a church. I stood with heavy breaths in the large room, clenching my fists in steaming anger, before I heard a soft cry from across the church- a cry that I only recognized to be Judys.

Immediately, I felt myself soften up a little; naturally, hearing the sound of my sister would automatically soothe anything that troubled me, but even as I walked down the isle to the small box and blanket Judith lied in, I could not relinquish the stirring anger that seemed to harrow over me.

"Hey Judy." I mumbled, plopping down beside the makeshift crib and taking off my hat, retiring it to the floor so I could pick up my infant sister. "Things kind of suck right now. And you are the only person I know I won't blow up at."

The baby cooed, her chubby hands wrapping around my longer, callous fingers as my arms wrapped around her small body. Judith blinked with blue eyes brighter than the sky's greatest artwork. Her skin was porcelain and only slight dirty, but the smooth, baby-like feel still powdered her body and I sighed as I pulled her closer into my chest.

Judith was so beautiful to live in such a hellish world.

Kind of like Skye. I said inside.

"You think things are gonna work out Judy?" I sighed, knowing full well that the infant in my arms could not respond to my pleading questions.