15

HEY BABES OKAY HERE WE GO
this is gonna be intense omg. oMgG

+

+

+

SKYE

I sat on the steps of the church in silence. The sky choked on pale yellow streaks between the clouds under a midday sun. But I had enough light to keep my eyes on the picture in my shaking hand. The polaroid of Gemma.

In my fingertips was proof that Gemma wasn't dead. For so long I had thought of my best friend gone and murdered, among the many fallen to this world. Now, my realization scrambled in a clenching madness that ripped through my body like a disease; for here, in my sweaty, weapon stained palm, was proof that my best friend had survived that night.

The worst part was Gemma could still be alive somewhere. But I had no idea where she was and had no way of finding her.

I couldn't shake the longing to leave and search for her, but then what would I do if Gemma was already dead. I had a group here; people who cared for me with their own lives. I had people who I would give myself up for; people I cared about more than myself...

But the previous statement of having a strong group where I belonged was crumpling to the ground as it set in...my best friend could be alive out there.

It was like deciding between two equally effecting options and opportunities.

Should I stay with Rick's group and the protection I had here? Should I stay with Carl, someone I had grown uncomfortably close to but would forever be thankful for?

Standing up and pocketing the polaroid, I shook my head, wiping the subtle tears that dared to escape my eyes.

"Hey." I turned around to see Tyreece walk out of the church. "You okay kid? Why are you out here alone?"

Praying that the liquid streaks weren't visible on my freckled cheeks, I managed a weak smile. "Nothing. I'm just thinking. I tend to do that a lot."

The oblivious man chuckled, sitting himself down on the church stairs. I shuffled over and set myself beside him, turning my face away so I wouldn't look suspicious of the melancholy running in my brain.

"I've got a lot to think about so I guess I do it more than I should." I said weakly, rubbing my arms to relinquish the goosebumps that had climbed them.

"I think a lot too." He smiled faintly. "It's a common habits nowadays."

"So since you're a part of the group now, tell me about yourself..." He started, affirming my assumption of his personality. Tyreece was a people person.

Though I immediately felt myself close up. I still was a little wounded about having to tell people my story, so this wouldn't be easy.

"The same as everyone." I said vaguely, looking over at Tyreece's dark eyes. "I lost everything and almost lost myself because of it. But I'm still surviving aren't I?" I dared a smile, which the man returned.

"Yeah. You'll be okay. If you're with Rick, with this group, you'll make it. Especially if you got ole Grimes in there looking after you." Tyreece chuckled, and I couldn't hide the scarlet that tinged my cheeks.