Chapter 2: School

Sorry I haven't updated in a while! I've had writers block and my teachers won't stop assigning homework. Unfortunately that's high school! Well onto the story, enjoy and don't forget to comment! ~Blaze
____________________________________________________________________________________________

After a short car ride Alison and I stood in front of Malcom Prep. High school. We walked into the dull grey building and moved quickly to our lockers trying our best to stay out of everybody's way. Like every morning Alison couldn't get her locker open so I did it for her, having memorizing her combination in the beginning of the year. She flashed me a grateful smile and dove into her messy locker to find her algebra book.

"Look what we have here." I hear someone say resting against the locker next to me.

"Get lost." I said turning to face the one and only Dylan Malcom.

His dad funds the school so he thinks he's the best, and he always gets special treatment from everyone here, everyone except me that is.

"I've been looking for you two all morning." Dylan said with a smirk.

"Shame. We were avoiding you all morning. Now if you excuse us, Alison and I are going to be late for algebra." I say grabbing Alison's arm and pulling her in the opposite direction of Dylan.

Unfortunately as I turned around and ran straight into one of Dylan's goons. I think his name was Tom but I've never herd him speak for himself so I wouldn't know. Under my grip I felt Alison's hand start to tremble. Alison always got the worst treatment from everyone. Even if it wasn't to her face you could hear the whispers everywhere she went but she couldn't. Alison went deaf when she was 5 due to an incident where she fell through the ice and almost drowned. Her brother had pulled her out but died of hypothermia later at the hospital. After that her parents began to see Alison as the cause of their beloved son's death. They have seen her as a cripple and a waste of space sense. Because she is deaf, many people stay clear of Alison. When I came to this school I made sure that no one would bully her again which of course made me an outcast as well but I don't mind. As long as I have Alison, I don't need anyone else.

"Now now that's no way to treat your superiors, especially retards like you two." Dylan said gripping my shoulder and pulling back, slamming me into my locker.

"I think little miss smart mouth needs a lesson on respect." He said coming toward Alison and me.

Dylan's hand formed a fist but before his hand connected with my face someone else grabbed his hand from behind. He turned around to punch the person who stopped him to find the varsity quarterback, Michael, standing behind him.

"It's rude to hit a girl." He said letting go of Dylan's arm. "You might want to get to class."

Dylan and his goons rushed off in the opposite direction but not without glaring at me. Michael might have bought me time but I knew Dylan wasn't going to let this go.

"Are you ok?" Michael asked after the others turned the corner.

I proceeded to pick up my books along with Alison. "Fine." I said shortly.

"Your welcome by the way." He retorted.

"I never asked for your help in the first place!" I said annoyed.

"Next time I won't!" He yelled.

As Michael stalked away Alison got up and stopped him signing thank you with her hands. With a small smile Michael headed on to his next class.

Tapping on Alison's shoulder to make sure she's watching me I ask "Why do you keep using sign language? It's not like your mute."

"You know that but most people think I'm too stupid to talk and anyway it doesn't matter to me. Plus I don't want to talk too loud or quiet if I can't hear my own voice. I know you don't mind but I'd rather be known as the quiet kid than the obnoxious one." She responded quietly.

"Fine." I say giving up the argument. "Come on." I say gesturing with my hand.

*Time passes*

Finally the bell rang signaling lunch. I groaned. I was positive Dylan was going to start something to prove he was better than me, and the more people there to see it the better, in his eyes. I walked into the cafeteria and swiftly made my way to the back table where Alison was already waiting for me. I sat down next to her and gave her half my lunch like I do every day. She flashed me a grateful smile dug in as if she hadn't eaten since yesterday's lunch which of course she hadn't. After a few tense moments I finally dropped my guard and began to eat my own lunch. That was my first mistake. Dylan chose that moment to come over and take my lunchbox from me.

"Hey!" I shouted. "Give that back!"

"Or what? You'll report me?" Dylan said laughing. He threw my lunchbox to the ground and deliberately stepped on it on his way over to confront me. "If I were you I would learn to keep my mouth shut." He sneered at me.

"Get lost." I say trying very hard to control my anger.

"I don't take orders from charity cases." Dylan spat back at me.

"Well at least I didn't buy my way in!" I retorted back placing my hands on the table.

At this point the entire cafeteria had gone silent, listening to our argument.

"You little piece of scum, if it weren't for my dad's money you'd be in the gutter with your slutty mother!" He said angrily.

"Why you LITTLE..." I said color rising to my cheeks.

"Kayla?" Alison whispered.

To late, static electricity shot through my hands onto the metal table, electrocuting Dylan. It didn't stop there, charging every metal table, chair, and liquid in the lunch room. The electric charge was so strong that it blew my table sky high.

"Your one of them, one of those freaks!" Dylan said standing up from where he had fallen from my blow.

I stared at my hands in shock. I looked up to find the entire cafeteria staring at me. Many of the kids hair was frizzing up due to the amount to electricity I had let off in my anger.

"She one of those mutant things!" Someone yelled from across the cafeteria.

"We don't want a mutant here! Get lost." A number of kids yelled from all different directions.

I didn't wait to be told differently and took off running out of the cafeteria and down the hall straight to my locker. Quickly I threw my locker open grabbed my dad's jacket pulled my backpack on over my shoulder and took off running towards the nearest exit. Before I got halfway there I heard pounding feet behind me. Glancing behind me I saw a few of the staff members closing in on me. Leading the pack was Henry Malcom, Dylan's father.

"Young lady get back here this instant!" He yelled at me as he ran.

"Fat chance" I muttered under my breath.

I turned a sharp turn only to run smack into Michael.

"Michael! You gotta help me! Please!!" I begged getting to my feet.

"Help you? Yea right you mutant scum!" He spat trying to grab my arm.

I quickly dodged him and began to run towards the exit again. Tears blurred my vision as I made it the the emergency door. Pushing with all my might I threw the door open, setting the alarm off, and made my escape. I kept running until the school was out of sight. Tiredness and fear set in as I slid down next to a tree, pulled my knees into my chest, and let my emotions bubble over. I sat and cried until I ran out of tears. Finally I pulled myself together stood up and began to decide my next step. I couldn't go back to school, I would be arrested. 'Home?' I thought inside my head. No if there I one thing I know about my mother it was her hate for mutants, but I couldn't live off of a notebook and pencils could I? Nope. I guess I only had one option, I had to go home.