Satanism

Satanism

Written By: SaintcWrites (saintc)

Edited By: Winter (Krayson)

Banner By: Amanda (Amandale04 )

In Christianity, Satan is a figure of evil, and the name Lucifer is often used interchangeably with Satan. This is not the view of self-described Satanists and Luciferians, however. These figures represent primal forces, freedom, and rebellion from dogma, among other things.

All three of these groups are considered left-hand paths, which is focused on self-determination and the power of the self, rather than submitting to a superior force. While many Satanists and Luciferians do believe in a supernatural power, they see their relationship with them as more of a partnership than the mastery of a god over a subject.

While there are significant similarities between different types of Satanists and Luciferians, they are distinctly different groups.

LaVeyan Satanism

The most well-known branch of Satanism is the form created by Anton LaVey in the 1960s. He created the "Satanic Bible," which remains the most available text on the Satanic religion. He also formed the Church of Satan, which is by far the most well-known and most public Satanic organization.

LaVeyan Satanism is atheistic. According to LaVey, neither God nor Satan are actual beings. Instead, Satan is a symbol representing the qualities embraced by Satanists. Invoking the name of Satan and other infernal names is a practical tool in Satanic rituals, focusing one's focus and will upon certain concepts.

The only "god" in LaVeyan Satanism is the Satanist himself. Satanism is a celebration of the self. It encourages people to seek their own truths, indulge in desires without fear of societal taboos, and creating a perfect self.

It means Satanists themselves are their own God and satan. They are free from trying to lead the perfect life to reach heaven and they take all blame for their action instead of blaming their shortcomings on a figure of all evil, in this case Satan.

Theistic Satanism

Theistic Satanism, also known as Spiritual Satanism, recognizes the existence of supernatural beings. One supernatural being Theistic Satanism recognizes is often called Satan, but it has been referred to by other names.

The Temple of Set is one of the most well-known groups of theistic Satanists. However, they no longer identify themselves as Satanic, seeing their movement as something new and distinct. They often identify as Setians, Enkians, etc.

Regardless of the being or beings in charge, none of them resemble the Christian Satan. Instead, they are beings that represent the same general qualities as the atheistic Satanists associate with their symbolic Satan: sexuality, pleasure, strength, rebellion, etc.

Luciferians

Many see Luciferianism as another branch of Satanism. It is generally considered a theistic branch, although there are some who see Lucifer as symbolic rather than an actual being. Nonetheless, Luciferians see themselves as a separate religion.

Luciferians use the term "Lucifer" in its literal sense: "lightbringer" in Latin. Rather than being a figure of challenge, rebellion, and sensuality, Lucifer is a creature of enlightenment, the one who brings light out of the darkness.

He does not, however, present his gifts to everyone. Luciferians embrace the seeking of knowledge, delving into the darkness of mystery, and coming out better for it.