Hinduism

Hinduism

Written By: Sinai (justincansuckit)

Edited By: Parker (The_Good_Slytherin)

Banner By: Milo (MiloSahaj )

Hinduism developed from the religion that the Aryans brought to India with them in about 1500 BC. Its beliefs and practices are based on the Vedas, a collection of hymns (thought to refer to actual historical events) that Aryan scholars had completed by about 800 BC. Although this fascinating religion originated almost three billion years ago, it's still very active today.

Most people think of Hinduism as a religion, but some people would have to disagree. Hinduism is a way of life and a practice that is vowed to at a young age. The central act of Hindu worship is puja, a ritual to engage the senses of both the devotee and the gods. Puja can be performed on an elaborate scale in a temple setting by priests, or on a smaller scale in a family home. A Hindu god is treated like a member of royalty, often being called on throughout the day.

Sacrifice is a big part of the Hinduism culture. This was the primary religious activity of the Vedic Period, and although the concept of sacrifice has undergone dramatic transformation as Hinduism has developed over the past few thousand years, it remains the bedrock of the tradition, and Vedic sacrifices continue to be performed throughout the Hindu world. Vedic sacrifice is a highly structured affair. Strict rules govern the purifying preparations for the Brahmin priests, construction of the altar, the preparation of the offering-in the contemporary world, various vegetable and grain offerings, particularly ghee (clarified butter)-and the performance of the ritual itself. All of this is to satisfy the gods and thereby maintain order, or dharma.

Death is a critical moment in the life of a Hindu, not only because it marks the end of life, but also because it marks the transition to the next life. The shraddah (funeral rites), therefore, are among the most important rituals in Hinduism. Such rituals are called samskaras, rites of passage. It is utterly important that the rituals associated with death-not only the cremation itself but also the preparation of the corpse and the purification of the surviving family-be performed properly, because if they are not, the deceased may become "stuck" between this life and the next, and remain in the world as a preta, a ghost, to haunt the surviving relatives.

Marriage is a highly elaborate affair that involves all manner of religiously significant rituals and ceremonies. Marriages are typically arranged according to caste, and the proper match is determined on the basis of astrological charts and with the help of a pundit, a particularly learned Brahmin. Marriage often begins with a ceremony focused on the god Ganesh, the remover of obstacles, weeks before the actual ceremony. The marriage ceremony itself is long and involves dozens of steps, nearly all of which are religiously significant. One religiously important aspect is the kanya dana, during which the bride's father pours out sacred water, and the groom recites Vedic hymns (particularly to the god Kama, the god of love) and promises to help his bride attain three of the four sacred ends of life: dharma (duty), artha (purpose), and kama (love). Moksha (salvation) is the fourth sacred goal, but is not attained through marriage.

So we've talked about Marriage, Death, and Sacrifice. Of course there are a multitude of other subjects that we could branch out to including childbirth, dresswear and food services. There are many parts of the Hindu culture that are yet to be discovered and talked about.