35. Intoxicating

*NINAY*

Naghain yung isa sa mga attendant sa harapan namin ng isang plate ng empanada sa harapan namin ng tatlo.

Nakaupo kami sa may lounge set, under a big parasol, the three of us, Ate Thea, Ate Katie and I. Ate Katie had her Macbook set up and open had been typing. Ako naman nag iinternet lang with the iPad while si Ate Thea was once again quiet, earbuds on both ears and staring at the ocean.

Nakwento sa akin ni Ate Katie what had happened kagabi.

According to her, she had left the two alone to talk in our room, but she saw them five minutes later, walking out of it together. We didn’t know what happened then.

I was on her room, reading a book. Babalik rin sana ako sa room namin ni Ate Katie in a while, but I figured Ate Thea’s lightings were better so I stayed.

I didn’t expect her to come back about thirty minutes after she had left. In fact, I wasn’t exactly expecting her to come back at all. I figured she and Kuya Jake would just pull it together and make up, even spend time with each other at all, but she came back, alone and as quiet as ever.

I asked her what happened, and she just shook her head, and then saka siya humiga na sa kama, pulling the covers over her and shut off the lamp on her side. I just looked at her for a second, before  standing up and then bidding her goodnight.

Now, she was just there, nakatingin sa may dagat, her hand brushing on the bandage she had, wrapped on the fingers of her left hand. Tinanong ko si Ate Katie about that and the big patch she had on her right knee, which was under a black knee pad.

I couldn’t imagine her having that kind of reaction.

Stuttering? Crying maybe, but clumsiness? Stuttering? Lack of Coordination? I didn’t want to believe it, but when I saw Ate Thea lift up the knee pad, I was doubting.

“Is there anything more I can get you Miss?” sabi ng staff.

Ngumiti ako. “Can you refill the lemonade, Kuya Jonathan?” sabi ko.

“How about you, Miss Katie?”
“I want more ice.”
Sabi ni Ate Katie. “And more tea, please? Thank you.” she smiles, going back to working.

Si Ate Thea ang tinignan ni Kuya Jonathan. Her glass of iced tea barely touched, and the plate of her plate of pasta untouched. He hesitates, but I spare him.

“She’s just gonna tell if she needs something.” Sabi ko and the attendant leaves.

Brunch kasi dapat, dahil late nang nagising si Ate Katie and I wasn’t that keen on eating alone. We found Ate Thea dressed up in denim short shorts and a tank top habang nakaupo sa kama. She was still staring at nothing in particular again so I just put a cover up over her shoulders and then smiled down at her, inviting her to brunch.

“Thea, you should eat.” Sabi ni Ate Katie. “Starvation isn’t going to get Jake to talk to you.”