Twenty

CAMERON

"In an hour? Okay sure, I missed you mom." I hang up and that's when it has come to me a week has passed. They are supposedly on their way home and from the call I got a while ago, it is true. No coming back. And it's funny how series of memento has occurred in my life from the past week. It's also hilarious how I came to appreciate the happenings of my day just a week ago, since when did I care anyway? My life has been such a mess with me not even taking a huff of how and when I'll clean it up.

I sigh, and look around. Damn, I almost forgot to do the laundry! I checked to see the bin and what, how?!

There were no dirty clothes inside nor scattered around.

But then I remembered that I actually spent most of the days in Grier's and borrowing Nash's clothes has been my thing. I feel bad about Elizabeth though she thought Nash wears three sweaters and couple of shirts a day. Oh man, I have to reckon bringing necessities the next time I go there. I already feel bad.

But, why am I hanging around their pad lately? It's not like me and Nash are actually spending time together right? Then why do I find myself turn the steering wheel and head over there, instead of here, my real place? It's also not like I often stay at them, I just couldn't pin point why.

Ever since that girl came around.

Oh.

I am mad at her right now.

I mean, how could she talk so coy with someone she didn't even met? I looked at both of them and I am pretty sure it was just an introduction. How can she trust strangers so easily? Was it really her nature, being so nice?

Since when did you mind other people's business Cameron?

"Since forever, you even betrayed a friend." My subconscious snarls, rolling his eyes repeatedly towards me.

Ugh, why is this so confusing? Everything's definitely not right. Wait. Am I.... am I changing? For good?

I turned down Blaire, I didn't invest my time on clubs recently, and I've been sticking to the guys lately. This isn't my thing. This isn't me.

Suddenly, image of Avery's glorious face flashed into my mind. At this current point, I am thinking about her. I can see those little freckles and her shining orbs that captivated me, even those sculpted lips made only for her and... it makes me want to fit them in mine.

I shake my head as I close my eyes. No, no, no, I must be hallucinating.

Running my hand through my dark hair, I can't help but think how oblivious I have turned to. Small things mattered to me the most, even if they are pointless, even if it's someone's shenanigans, I cared. I don't know why, and yet here in the same side, I obviously know why.

That I am falli-

Someone barges into the door, "Oh look at you, with your legs sprawled, a hanging mouth and a dreamy eyes and that figure pretty much supposed to be in the airport a while ago. Since when did you forget things a while ago mister?" The person acknowledges.

"Since she came..." I mutter, eyes still on the ceiling.

"Earth to Cameron Alexander freaking Dallas!" I jolt up to see mom and Sierra stand by the doorway. Both arms crossed and eyes narrowed directly at me. Shit.

I hoist up from the pull-up couch and look down, embarrassed. Crap I totally forgot about them.

"I'm sorry mom, sorry Sierra." And then I noticed Sierra's hair changed a bit, she looks at me as I see how she tries to suppress a laugh.

"Oh Cameron. Thank goodness it wasn't so far."

"Let me help you with the bags." I take their suitcases and bring them up as mom lay down the couch and Sierra sneakily comes up to me. She pokes my arm while giggling slightly.

"What?" I annoyingly ask, she won't dare to get on my nerve this time.

"Who's she?" She giggles excitedly and trust me, my heart skipped a bit.

I couldn't think of any "she" other than Avery. What is happening to me?

"What?" I lie.

"Is it Tara?" She suddenly stops, as I also did.

I close my eyes. Out of all people, why does it have to be Tara entering her mind?

"Tara? No it is not." I roll my eyes, grabbing the cases once again. I turn to adjoin the door but she just continued speaking.

"I heard she's back? Have you sorted things out?" Her smile suddenly reverse itself and she's not wearing the same beam anymore. Sierra has never liked Tara, so has my mom. For them, she's a curse that crossed my life.

I look at her directly, "No, why would I?"

"Good." She sighs as she look the other way, probably an idea light up.

"She almost got you killed, Cameron. As your sister, I don't want you near her especially this time, where she's just around." I look up at her, seeing my sister look at me with worry, with agony.

Should I tell her? That Tara wants to be back with me?

"I won't. I promise." I hesitated, and that suddenly ached my heart from lying to my own blood who actually cared about me than a woman who did not bother to spare my life.

She grabs my arm, a look of confusion flashes in her eyes.

"Can I ask you something?" She exclaims.

"You're already asking." I joke, trying to reach up the good vibe.

"No silly, it's about your friend. Shawn." Her words made me boil a little bit and I can't help but think what Shawn has to do with this conversation.

"What about him?"

"We saw him, mom and I, at Taco Bell earlier, with someone. It's actually a girl. Thought he has never dated anyone?"

Of course, it makes me think of Avery more than I have to.

"Geez Sierra why are you up with other people's life?"

"I was just asking!" She argues back.

Should I make up an excuse?

Then yes, being the selfish I am, I have to make this rumor believable. Sierra has always think of Shawn as the "kind one" and the "pure one" and sometimes, I even think that she liked him more as a brother than me. Maybe this time, I'll win it.

"They aren't dating, they were just friends." I scoff, wanting to leave this discussion already.

"Really? They were holding hands. I doubt that. And they were all giddy with each other so that does not consider as friends."

Crap, why is it that I have never balled my eyes out before? Why do I find this so unbelievable? I don't want this, I don't want anyone to know that my girl is in love with someone else other than me.

"Well, Shawn does not know the word "love", even if he does, he will never apply it to himself or even to any girl."

"Are you really his friend?" She spats.

"Yeah, I was just telling the truth."

"You don't know him Cam! Do you hate him, by chance?" She coldly remarks.

"Why would I hate him? He's my mate." I shrug.

"Then why are you talking shit about him? You know he isn't like that."

"I was giving facts! Damn it Sierra, why can't you believe me?"

She looks at me for a second then turns to leave.

"Besides, he was just playing with her and that's what she doesn't know." I add.

"What?" She stops to respond.

"Bro codes." I say and I instantly regret what I just said. Shit! No, no, no.

She turns to leave again, this time she didn't reply nor look back.