The Memory That Kept Me Alive

Start from the beginning

“Yup, the one and only Janet is back,” Her arms circled around my petite body, pulling me into an embrace. “I’ve missed you,”

There was no warmth from her hug.

“What are you doing here? How? When? I--” I rambled.

“I know it’s confusing. How about we get something to eat? I’m starving.” She said, patting her stomach.

I could only nod.

She calmly rested in the kitchen, casually humming, while I stayed confused.

I silently prepared her a grilled cheese sandwich, with the fridge never opened and the scent of smoke never in the room.

A deep voice of the reporter sparked my attention at the mention of his name.

“Jack Wyler, 17 year old boy at Creek Hills High School, has been found murdered at 4pm this afternoon. Investigators told us the murder was done just an hour, before the body was found. We are devastated to hear the death of such a brave, intelligent young man...”

“Seriously, brave? Intelligent? Give me a break.” I turned my head to Janet, who’s devouring her sandwich, with no sound of chewing. “What? He bullied you, didn’t he? Don’t you hate him? Shouldn’t you be glad he’s dead?”

Shock, it was all I felt.

This was not the Janet I remembered.

She was sweet, and caring, and would never wish for someone’s death.

A piece of my happy memory shattered.

“Yeah… I guess...” I said, and unconsciously glanced down.

Maggie’s House, 8 pm.

The itchy black ink covered my forearm with those letters, constantly reminding my of the time and place for a party.

I covered it before Janet could see.

It was my chance, to finally fit in with a group.

Maggie, she's popular.

I’ve always wanted to be with people like her ever since I was little.

“Hiding something?” Janet asked, peeking her head over.

I shook my head violently.

Her mouth opened, but before she could attempt to question again, a booming knock interrupted her.

We exchanged glances, and I stepped forward to clicked open the door.

“I'm from the police station, Officer Matt. Is Ms. Josie Ly in this household?” A towering man spoke, the fragrance of gunpowder around him.

“Yes, that's me.” I answered him, my voice slightly unstable.

Janet came up beside me and placed a calming hand on my shoulder.

The officer didn't even bother to give her a glimpse.

“Do you have any acknowledgement towards the murder of Jake Wyler?” He asked, preparing his notepad.