Chapter 8

Frost sat silent across from his boss

Frost sat silent across from his boss. He could tell something was wrong, "I know Miss Parkers here, but where's the kid?"

Joker got up to serve himself a drink. "Somebody took her. Miss Parker and I have to go to the Gala tonight. Turns out who ever took her, wants what Oswald stole. She's just a bargaining tool." 

"Do we know what it is?" 

Joker threw back his shot. "Nope.. Something about the Genisus Capsule, what ever the hell that is. I saw Lex corp on the file name."

Frost shook his head, "J, Lex is someone you don't fuck with." 

Joker spun around with an angry look, "No! You don't fuck with me.. And what belongs to me." He threw back another shot, "Especially what belongs to me."

Frost adjusted his neck tie, "So.. What do we do?"

Joker leaned down as he placed his hands on both sides of the chair. "We cause a diversion." Frost smirked at his plan.

Mary smiled as Nathan walked with her to their table. Nathan pulled a seat out for her and took the seat across from her. "So you said you have a little girl?"  Mary smiled and nodded. "Well that's great, what's her name?"

Mary almost wanted to cry when she said her name, "Grace." 

Nathan could see pain in Mary's eyes. "Are you ok?"

Mary looked down as she nodded, "I've been stressed with settling the estate and trying to take care of her..."

Nathan lightly took her hand. Mary glared down at his grasp as he spoke, "If you need anything, please let me know." 

Mary looked up with a tearful smile, "Thanks." 

Joker and Frost was in his office when his phone rang. "Selena.. Whatcha got for me..?"

In the middle of lunch, Mary's phone buzzed with a text. The contact was J. "Having fun?"

"Shit.." Mary whispered. 

Nathan looked concerned "Is something wrong?" 

Mary pushed herself from the table, "I'm sorry. Nathan, but I have to go." Nathan stood up as she spoke, "I'll see you tonight." Nathan stood silent as he watch her walk out. Mary's chest was heaving as she scanned the street. She started to walk to where she had parked the suburban, but noticed it was gone. Mary spun around as she looked for her car, she then realized it was a cruel joke. Mary knew joker was watching and smirked as she headed to the subway. Joker sat in the back of a black Mercedes as he watched her head for the subway. He had a quick flashback of the last time he saw her as she waved goodbye on the sub train. He quickly texted her, "Stop!"

Mary glanced down at her phone but didn't answer or stop. Her phone was now ringing. She stopped walking and  answered it. "Mary speaking." 

"Need a ride?"

"I think I'll take the train, thanks." 

"Don't you dare!"

Mary smirked, "How long where you going to let me walk? And why are you following me?"

Joker growled, "I don't like it when people touch my things." 

Mary signed, "Where are you?" 

"Across the street." Mary glanced and noticed the beames flash at her. 

"Well .. Can I have a ride?" 

Mary could picture him smile as he spoke, "Anytime."

Mary rolled her eyes as she hung up. As she started towards the vehicle, her stomach started to turn summer salutes. She smiled as she thought, "He called me his."

Frost opened the back passenger door as she approached, Mary smiled as she  leaned down and looked at Joker. "Hey baby.. Looking for a good time..?" Frost snickered. 

Joker growled, "Get in the fucking car." Mary chuckled as she slid into the car. She could hear the anger in his voice, "How was lunch?" 

Mary turned to him with a bubbly smile, "Fine thanks!" Joker rolled up the privacy window. "Uh oh." 

Jokers face was hard to read, "Who was he?"

Mary turned serious, "He's Nathan Smith, the curator of the museum and an old friend from school."  

Joker sneared, "Does he know your taken?" 

Mary rolled her shoulders. "We where just talking."

Joker threw back his head, "Ha! There's no such thing in a mans world. We are  always looking at fresh meat."  Mary leaned away from him; he regretted his choice of words.

"Thank you Mr. J for lessons in the real world. A mans world. I'm sure you think just like the rest of them. So when I get Grace back, you are free to look for fresh meat with no regret." Jokers face was blank. He knew what she meant, no regrets meant she wouldn't be there for him to feel guilt. 

When the car reached the front of the house, Mary didn't wait for Frost to open the door. She ran up the main staircase and into her room and shut the door.  

Joker took his time up the stairs and knocked on her bedroom door, "Sweetness...?" No answer. Joker slowly opened the door expecting her to throw something. He found her slouching infront of her vanity mirror. He walked up and placed his hand on her  right shoulder. Mary took her left hand and patted his hand without snapping out of her daze. Joker knew he fucked up. She was too sad and hurt to fight. "Listen.." 

Mary started to shake her head as she looked down. "I.. I don't want to do this anymore.." 

Joker spun her chair around and kneeled infront of her. He took her hands in her lap and pressed his head against them. He felt her pull away one hand and put in on the top of his head. As he looked up, the palm of her hand caressed his cheek. He could see real pain in her eyes. Mary lowered her hand as she turned back away from him and sat with her head down. Joker pulled himself to his feet and left her alone, lost in her thoughts.