Chapter Thirty-Nine- The Brightest Day

Start from the beginning

Jaina, Zekk, and Allana watched it go, each speck of a ship disappearing into hyperspace. They were left alone in the bay with just four ships: the bioship (humming sleepily to itself), the Millenium Falcon, the Lightning Rod, and the Earth's Lantern.

"How is he?" Jaina asked Zekk.

"No better nor worse than last night, but your Martian Manhunter is hopeful. Batman, eh, not so much."

"Of course not," Jaina grumbled.

Allana continued to stare out at the stars. "Why is he back?" She asked.

"Hm?" Jaina asked.

"My daddy. He was evil, so why is he back?"

"Allana-" Zekk started.

"I don't know why, Amelia," Jaina snapped. She turned on her heel and ran from the bay. 

-------

Jaina didn't know whether to avoid the medical bay or not. Her father had similar emotions, and spent a good portion of the time showing Chewie the modifications to the Falcon, spending a good time tinkering together.

Tinkering was usually what Jaina did too, but she couldn't bring herself to pick up her tools. She needed Lowie's help, she needed Zekk's input, she needed Tenel Ka hiding her laughter while Jacen made painful jokes for them all. 

Would they ever be like that again?

No, Jaina knew that they wouldn't. And that scared her more than death.

-------

"This ring is so much different!" Jessica observed after two hours of trying every flying trick she could think of.

"Tell me about it," Jaina chuckled, floating with Jessica at the top of the dome of the Watchtower's Main Ops.

"Volthoom's ring just felt like it was pulling me down, keeping me tied to the ground, but this ring, this feels like it's not even there, almost like it's a happy feeling inside that won't leave." Jessica stared at her ring in awe, gingerly floating back to the ground. She was definitely more patient than Jaina had been when she first got her ring.

"I can't believe it chose me."

"Well why not? You're incredibly brave, especially for those you love. And you overcame Volthoom, the literally embodiment of all your fears and anxiety." Jaina told her, an inch away from scolding.

Jessica stared up at Jaina, and slipped the ring off her finger, holding it out. Jaina was unsure if she was giving it to her or showing it to her.

"Do I deserve this ring?" She asked, voice calm, but small.

Jaina righted herself immediately. "Of course you do," She told her padawan. 

"You were brave enough to save me and Nightwing, to risk your life for the Universe, and you had the willpower to reject Volthoom. And for as long as I've known you, probably even longer, you've had the bravery and the willpower to fight you own mind every day, to get up and keep going even when it just seems impossible and mundane. You have hope, Jessica, whether you know it or not. You are the bravest person I know."

Jessica grinned, "Thanks, but I think you're forgetting one very important person."

Jaina's brow wrinkled, so much like her father's. "Who?"

Jessica tapped the green symbol displayed proudly on Jaina's chest.

Jaina wrapped her arms around Jessica and hugged her tightly.