Chapter Nineteen: Crossfire

Start from the beginning

Her finger twitched...but it remained floating in front of the trigger. She gritted her teeth, enraged at her emotions. Silvia thought that she was getting soft. Getting soft meant that her career as a killer was over...

Without warning, the window of the board room shattered into transparent shrapnel, and two bloody holes appeared on the target's forehead. Blood sputtering from the hole in his face, the man tumbled to the ground as his guests stampeded for the door, security guards pouring in from every direction of the room.

"Son of a bitch!!" Silvia growled, dumping her rifle, pushing to her feet and glancing around at the skyline. Her enhanced vision managed to pick up a slight swirl of gun smoke at a mall complex a couple blocks away. Silvia, sighing, propelled herself over the alleyways and scampered up the apartment buildings. She wasn't going to let this guy get away.

In less than a minute, she threw herself through the fifth floor window of the mall. Landing with a roll, she was puzzled to see that the shooter was casually leaning against the wall by the sniper rifle...waiting for her. "You've gotten faster." The man's low, raspy and confident voice said to her. "Still...pretty pathetic."

Silvia's eyes widened in rage when she made out the half black, half orange mask that was wrapped around the man's face. There was just one eye piece on it, and it was flat white with a thick black outline. His suit was comprised of some kind of advanced scale-like light armour...

"Nothing to say, you cheap Chinese knock-off?" Slade Wilson, Deathstroke, quipped.

Silvia, within the blink of an eye, pulled out her pistol and unloaded its entire clip at the mercenary in front of her. She was fast...but Deathstroke was faster. Each shot caught the flat side of the Terminator's promethium broadsword as he swung it with expert precision and unbelievable speed.

Mirrors, windows and shop mannequins were blasted apart by the stray rounds. With a chuckle, Deathstroke continued to spin his sword around in his palm as nothing but blank clicks followed the gunshots.

"I'm going to kill you, old man." Silvia spat.

Wilson elegantly sheathed his blade and crossed his arms. "Feel free to try. You're nothing but a damaged little girl trying to prove to herself that she's not weak and useless."

Silvia bounded forward and extended her fist at Wilson's head, but it was caught and twisted by the experienced soldier. He twirled and rammed his own fist back into Silvia's jaw. There was a violent crack as she snarled through the pain. Without letting the blow slow her down, the Reaper managed to wrench her arm free and whip an elbow into Wilson's temple, weakening his stance but not plucking a single sound from the man.

Wanting to take advantage of this opening, Silvia leapt into the air and pushed with both of her feet, seeking to send Deathstroke flying back with a double kick...but was instead shocked to realise that Wilson clutched both of her legs and swung her face first into a concrete pillar. This bone crunching impact was not enough to quench Deathstroke's lust for blood, however.

"How so very predictable." He snapped. With that, Wilson slammed Silvia's body into the ground once, twice, then three times. Silvia tasted blood in her mouth...she felt broken bones.

He finally released his grip, but Silvia wasn't as eager to stop as he was. She kicked up, then bounded onto him like a savage animal, pummelling his skull with brutal open palm strikes and punches as she wrapped her legs around his abdomen. Wilson didn't let out a single whimper as Silvia screamed, continuing her flurry.