Ch.23: When A Man Goes Missing...

Things couldn't go more wrong.
Recap?

I was born into this world on a beautiful November 17th day. Soon my life became a tragedy blah blah blah. You know that all-too-familiar bullcrap.

But I'm talking about what happened more recently. The smaller things. Hmm. Ironically the trivial problems are what get my rage out. A more recent recap?

Sure.

I was twirling the straw in my drink, subconsciously hoping for some random beautiful Francesca to walk in and save my broken and sinking life. And I was thinking of all the future things we'd do together. We'd go to a fair, watch a movie, eat at a fancy place, sleepover, fall in l*** (the cliche L word that I dare not utter) -- maybe.
I was thinking and thinking and thinking...

Wrong.

I didn't even think about the fact that she wouldn't turn up in the first place. Okay Evan, don't make a big deal out of the fact that your imaginary fairy tale just burst into sparkles of lost hope. But what could possibly destroy my mood more?

My ever faithful, ever loyal friend, Mr. Michael, isn't picking up his phone.

But what could make me even more angrier?

That I got worried and left work early to meet him. And then went to his apartment just to find out from his security guard that he hadn't returned ever since he left to meet me yesterday.

I think the security guy saw some fumes escaping my ears.

I calmed myself down. Breathe in, breathe out, Evan. Or else the steering wheel might melt under your hold. I let go of the wheel as I noticed I was parked anyways. I hadn't left Mike's building yet. I was still digesting the information.

Okay. I digested the information.

Now that that's done.
Part two. Finding Mikey.

I thought of all the possible places he could go to. And I went to those places. First all the nearby fast food joints, then the theatres, his company building. I called up some of his colleagues and they said he'd not turned up for work that day. Then when I gave up all hope, I drove to where sinners confess. Yes, the church. I don't know why but I had this intuition that I'd find him there.

But I didn't.

The church was empty and I inquired if he had been there, to which the answer was no. I drove back home with my head aching like hell. I couldn't take the pressure. I even phoned a local news company if they had any news on Michael Adams. Their answer was no different from the church authorities.

The sun was almost setting by then and I needed to cool off, so I drove to the beachside, silently hoping I'd find him there too. Well, he wasn't there and I relaxed a bit while my one and only best friend was missing.

                   *******

I stared at my office computer screen and tried to focus on my work. Of course that did not happen. I rubbed my face in frustration. All my life I'd depended on Mike for any help I needed. I never thought there would come a day when he himself wouldn't be there. And I hadn't thought it over. I literally had no back-up plan for this day. He could be anywhere in the world and I wouldn't have the slightest clue. But it's not like him to just leave without giving me a heads up. I--

My phone began to ring. I half-expected it to be Mike, but was disappointed when it flashed an unknown number. I declined the call. I rested my head backwards on my chair and put my hands behind my head. The ceiling lights blinded me for a few seconds. I thought about Mike. The last thing that I know he did before he went missing was that he set up a date for me, but whether coincidentally or not, the girl was MIA too, just like the mediator himself. I rubbed my eyes. Whether from staring at the ceiling too long or feeling frustrated, I don't know.