Ch.7: Mike The Trustworthy

**BACK TO THE PRESENT**

I got dressed up. I had a job interview at 10. Mornings are always better for interviews because all the interviewers will be fresh and more ready to listen to what you have to say. At least that's what I think. And I did have lots to say in case they asked me a personal question. I put on my lucky blue shirt and white jeans. My Mom's favourite outfit.

I smiled as a memory just flashed by in my mind.

****

"You look like a store mannequin brought to life, sweetie."

"Mom. Ew. No. I don't have a waxy face."

"Hun! I'm saying you look like a model. White and blue suit you so well. My little prince. Muah."

"Mom!!"

****

                          -------------------------

"Hello, good morning sirs and ma'am. I'm Evan Adams."

"So Evan, you look pretty confident today. Why don't you tell us a few things about yourself?"

____________________

**LATER**
I grabbed my Starbucks coffee. "Thanks."

The interview went pretty well. Of course, I didn't let them in on my wonderful life. Sympathy is the last thing I want from them. If I get a job, I need to be convinced that I got it only because of my own hardwork and talent and not because I was desperate.

"Hey Evan. How'd the interview go?"

Mike was waiting for me outside. He'd excused himself from work.

He looked damn handsome in a suit. I saw many women giving him stares. Little did they know under the suit and handsome face was a completely different person.

"Hey. It went great bro. I might have a shot at this job."

"Great to hear dude. I'm fed up of giving you company while you are bored. High time someone shared this trouble with me."

He winked.

I punched him in his stomach.

"Ha. Ha. Was that supposed to be funny, Mike?"

"Dude. I can never stop messing around with you. It's like a habit now."

A woman walked past him and purposely dropped her purse just so he would notice her. He picked it up and gave it to her without even looking at her face.

"Evan. I'm meeting up with Zoe tonight."

I sympathetically looked at the disappointed woman taking her purse and scowling at Mike before walking away.

"When's the marriage Mikey?"

Okay.  This is where I introduce my friend sarcasm to you. But what's the need for that here? Well, if there's one thing I know about Mike, he doesn't stay on one girl for more than five days. And for the first time in his life, this man made my heart stop for a second or to when he told me that he had finally found the love of his life, that is, this Zoe girl. I just waived it off as usual. But the real shocker came in when he ditched a Batman movie with me, to go on a date with Zoe, and that too...2 weeks after he met her!!! TWO WHOLE WEEKS..THAT'S FOURTEEN DAYS, people. The number of days they went out together has outnumbered the number of teeth in my mouth and hence, I pose the marriage question sarcastically, yet curiously.

"Whoa whoa dude. It's not that serious yet. Guess what? I'mma propose her tonight."

He dug for something in his pocket excitedly.

A little velvet black box. He didn't have to open it for me to know what was in it.

But he did. A sparkly little diamond ring stared at me.

"It's beautiful Mike. But I'm just scared...."

Mike's excited face fell. "Scared of what, Evan?!"

I put my hand on his shoulder.

"That she'll fall in love with the ring and not you."

That being said I did my fakest laugh ever.

I felt epic. I'd finally fooled the king of fooling myself!!

"Alright alright that's enough. You're a terrible actor Evan. And that was the lamest joke I've ever heard."

"Well bro. I honestly wish you the best of luck. Sweep that woman off her feet!"

"Thanks man."

As I lay down that evening, I thought of Rachel. How much I missed looking into her mesmerizing green eyes, the movement of her pink lips when she talked, the way she nervously blushed unconsciously. I'm pretty sure no other man on earth had seen her the way I did. But I decided to shift my thoughts. Another flashback would destroy my mood. I put on a movie. I take time a lot of time to choose a good movie. Since I lived completely alone I had seen all the movies I'd bought. Still, won't hurt to see Titanic again, I thought.

Somewhere around the middle of the film my phone gave me its usual "Yo weirdo, you got a message" beep.

Oh yeah. I'd borrowed one of Mike's old phones since mine was in pieces. He seemed to have many of which he just used two phones. Wouldn't hurt if I took just one, right?

Beep. Beep.

3 messages. Whoa. Who could that be?

I paused the movie, stretched over and took my phone.

Oh look. Mike. What does he want? I thought he was supposed to be a date with Zoe.

I froze at his messages.

"Dude"

"I hate you"

"Why"

                                                            .........................