Ch.15: Conviction

I closed the door softly, trying not to make any noise. I'd met the doctor on the way and asked him about Eric.

"He's improving for sure. But it's very gradual. He lacks something. I'm not referring to his body here. He lacks some emotional and moral support. Maybe you could give that to him."

                  ----------------

The drive back home was completely different from my usual drives. Normally I'd sit in the car and ponder over my life. But this time it wasn't like that. I felt relieved and tension-free as I drove. And I think my trip to Eric has been one of the best decisions of my life.

My phone rang. Might be the hospital, I thought.

I pressed the button to answer via Bluetooth without looking at the caller ID.

"Hello?"

"Hey Evan. Dude where are you? I was looking eveywhere for you."

"I needed a break bro. Just went around visiting places."

"Well, you could've at least informed me. I was freaking out here thinking you..."

"I what? Jumped off a cliff? Ran away? Hung myself? Got arrested? You know I'd never be in any of those postions. You needn't have worried."

"I know, I know. But we're human. And I was scared so I started jumping to conclusions." He sighed. "I'm sorry."

"That's fine bro."

"No, I mean I'm sorry for getting angry at you for what happened with Zoe. I didn't mean to. Its just..." He sighed. "I thought that would be the best night of my life. And when she mentioned you as the cause for her to reject me at first, I couldn't absorb it. Because it had nothing to do with me directly."

Silence.

"I noticed you said "at first". What is that supposed to mean? You guys getting married?"

"Um..no, not marriage! Not yet. She said she needs time to make that decision. Until then we're together."

"So that's it? All her lame excuses went down the drain. All the drama was for nothing?"

"Well, not for nothing. I mean...it wasn't much was it?"

"Yeah sure. Just created a huge wall between two best friends. That's all." I made my sarcasm clear.

"Evan I told you I'm sorry. What more do you want?"

"Bro I don't want anything. You're already giving me way more than I can ask for. I just...I just want you to be careful about who you choose to be with you for the rest of your life. Dragging me into your's and Zoe's personal life may be a small matter, but she made such a huge issue out of it. Think about it this way. Suppose you guys get married and move in together. Imagine within a few months I lose my job, considering I had one. Is she going to run away from you just because I lost my job? For the tiniest of reasons? That's impractical. And hey, I'm just saying. You know her better."

He didn't say anything for a long time. Then he cleared his throat.

"I haven't thought about it like that. I mean, she's so beautiful inside out. All I could think of was waking up to her face next to me every morning for the rest of my life. I never thought about the other side. Thanks Evan. I'll think about it. So anyways where did you go?"

"To the hospital."

"To see that nurse?"

"Which nurse?"

"The one who attended you after your recent accident."

"Wha--No! I went to see Eric."

"Ah. Wait. What?! I thought you said you're never going back there again. Quoting you, 'He is going to see me as the one who took away the life from his body. I can't face him again.'"

I laughed. "I said that?"

"Duh."

"Yeah well. Sometimes you need to cross some boundaries and find a new comfort zone."

"Are you saying I need a replacement, Evan Joe Adams?"

"That's not what I meant. There are some things that I can't speak to you about. At those times, I need to lighten my heart by letting it out to someone else."

"And may I know what these things are that you can't tell me?"

"Really, Mike?? Can't you guess?"

"Zoe?? Well, I needed to talk about that too but I'm not shying away. I'm telling it all to you. Then why did you back out?"

"You weren't in your best mood you know. And it's not often that you get angry. So when you do, I try and keep my distance. That's all. No trust issues. Not with you."

"Okay that makes sense I guess. Anyways this is all sorted out. Wanna watch a movie tonight?"

"No I'll pass. I need to spend some time alone. You go ahead."

"Sure?"

"100%"

"Well, okay. Don't say I didn't ask you. I'm going."

"I won't."

"Alright then dude. Talk to you later."

"Bye Mike."

                   -------------

I picked up my hot chocolate from the kitchen counter and headed for the bedroom. My laptop was on the bed, charging. Since I was alone and had enough and more time, I thought of making myself useful by doing some research on my parents.

I know I sound like a stalker, but hey! Think of it from my point of view. I literally do not even know where to begin. I open up Google, taking a sip of the hot chocolate while it loaded.

Ahhh!! Hot hot hot!!

My tongue stung from the burn. I pressed it to the roof of my mouth and hoped the pain would subside. The page loaded. I set the cup down and moved the cursor to the search box.

My fingers were frozen above the keyboard. I didn't know what to write.

Cling.

An email? For me? Who in the world would want to send me an email? Probably those websites that I'd logged into years back. Still, it wouldn't hurt to check.

I clicked the Inbox and froze on seeing the first few lines of the email.

Wattson Enterprises.
Mr. Evan Joe Adams, it is our pleasure to inform you that you have been selected to work with us....

I pinched myself.

Nope. It was real. I just earned myself a job.

         ____________________