Ego: Is This It?

Harry's POV

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Val finally went to sleep after much persuasion and telling her that everything would be okay. It felt nice to have her back in our flat. It's been a shitty week and a half but it feels so much longer. I wish I could fully enjoy her being back without having to worry about yet another prick who was the problem to begin with. I slammed my hand down on the coffee table and it rattled. I peeked towards the bedroom to see her stir but just lay on her side grabbing for a pillow blindly before getting one.

I layed back on the couch using one of the many pillows Val insists should be on the couch and propped it behind my head. I actually remember the day we bought them. She fussed about how it was a house necessity.

"Oh babe, look at these pillows." Val squealed as she grabbed the bundle of pillows tied up with red ribbons. I scoffed at the sight of them and she rolled her eyes.

"I just don't see why we need so many. As a matter of fact I don't see why we need any. Don't couches come with their own cushions?" I asked pushing the shopping trolley along.

"That's besides the point. Plus the couch would look so boring." She said dropping them in the trolley.

"It's a couch. How is a couch suppose to look Val?" I asked.

"Warm and inviting." She said linking her arm with mine.

"But it will make the couch look cluttered and 'uninviting'. Plus I don't want them." I didn't want the pale white pillows with the intricate grey stiching. What was the point of it? The couch would be black with silver along the edges and foot of the couch.

"But I want them. I'm trying to make the place homey for as long as we stay there. God knows we don't stay in places long." She mumbled the last part and unlinked our arms walking ahead to pick up some sterling silver candle holders. We don't even have candles! I decided not to fight about that and picked up some towels to make it seem like I was at least trying to make an effort.

"Okay look. We can get the pillows but I get to pick," I counted the pillows, "five things I want, and its definitely not in this shop." I stated crossing my arms.

"What shop do you have in mind?" She smiled as she stood in front of the cart.

"You'll see when we get there." I said as we walked and picked up a few more things.

My phone vibrating in my pocket draws me from my memories.

"Hello." I yawn rubbing a hand over my face."

"Wakey wakey lover boy." I groaned loudly and hung up the phone. If he was in a rush to kill us he would've done it already. I flipped over on my side so I was facing the couch back.

The phone rang again and I almost threw it across the room but answered it instead. I swear once this whole mess is over Val and I are going off the grid for a while, I'm talking moving out of the states, new phones, new phone numbers the whole lot. Only close friends and family will have our numbers.

"What do you fucking want?" I asked angrily.

"First off I just want to say that you shouldn't hang up on people, its rude. Secondly that isn't such a wise idea to piss off the person who is going to kill you!" I yawned again.

"Why didn't you do it before? You could've ran us off the road that night. You could've came back this afternoon. Hell you could've kill Valerie when you had her." I turned around just in time to see Val running across the hall from the bedroom to the bathroom. The sound of her dry heaving and retching could be heard.