48

If you need anything I'm just upstairs. Calvin's mind links with mine only long enough to assure me that he's here if the conversation gets awkward or I just need him.

Benjamin and I sit across from each other in the kitchen, both of us waiting patiently to hear the door to Calvin's office shut. Once the familiar click of the latch hits my ears, I let out a sigh in relief.

"I'm sorry if I scared you, Gray." Ben says gingerly, adjusting his hands on the table. "I didn't mean to make you think I was a threat- I just whole-heartedly wanted to take the two of you out and let you guys have fun and relax." He blows out a soft breath.

"Technically, it was never me afraid of you, Ben." I give him a smile. "I trust you, you're my friend. Don't ever think I won't believe you." Ben smiles back as relief washes over him.

"Are you excited?" Ben asks, changing the subject and going back to his normal self. I look him over and watch him physically relax before me. The large smile on his face doesn't disappear, but seems to only get bigger.

"Nervous, yes." I admit, focusing my attention onto my nails. "Excited probably isn't the word that I would use."

"Why do you say that, Gray?" Ben asks, knotting his eyebrows and leaning against the table. Curiosity gets to him, and now I have to respond. Even though I don't want to.

"I don't know," I shrug. "I'm just not big with being the leader or crowds. And I guess eventually everyone will be expecting the Luna to be expecting and I'm just not ready for that kind of pressure on my shoulders." I chew on the inside of my cheek.

"How am I supposed to take care of not one pack, but almost twenty! I can't even take care of a goldfish for three days without it dying!" I run my hands through my hair. "What if I mess up?"

"Calvin won't let you mess you, Gray." Ben says softly. "But even he has messed up, and then they're figured out." He assures me. I look up at him quietly.

"Pressure is something that takes some getting used to, and you just have to learn to not give into it." Ben says softly. "You'll make a great Luna, Gray. Calvin is mean, and he needs you to have a heart to some of these people." Ben gives me a playful smile.

"He's not that mean." I roll my eyes. I've heard so many stories about Calvin being mean, but I've only witnessed it once with my own eyes. Even then it wasn't Calvin. His wolf was pissed off about something and he took it out on me.

"He's not mean to you because he gets ass out of you!" Ben defends with a pout. I laugh at what he says and shake my head.

"You may be right." I shrug. "But if we're on the subject he takes a lot of his anger out of me.."

"I really appreciate your sacrifice because he's been really nice to me lately." Ben chuckles, pushing his hand out of his face.

"I'm only nice to you because you have yet to get on my nerves." Calvin mutters, walking into the kitchen. His eyes rake over me for a minute, before he quietly tugs the sleeve of my shirt back onto my shoulder. Well, his shirt. The collar is quite big and tends to slip off.

I look up at him and knot my eyebrows. "Are you finished already?" I blink and look over at the clock on the wall. It's only been half an hour since he started.

"I got hungry," he shrugs, "and I can't concentrate." His eyes meet mine and I blow out a soft breath. I still smell like I'm in heat I guess. "So I'll have to make a rain check and start tomorrow."  He sighs.

"So, do you want me to go or...?" Ben asks, feeling the pressure between Calvin and I. I can feel the jealousy washing over Cal, and I hate that he's like that towards Ben. Ben is my friend, and I could never do anything like that.