the baby: part one (added 12/13)

I wake up to my phone buzzing on the nightstand

I wake up to my phone buzzing on the nightstand. A wave of fear washes over me, because I think I know who is calling.

What if it's Calvin's very old friend? What if she's going to do something now? I swallow. Hard.

I glance over at Calvin's empty spot on the bed. It's messy, and warm like he's recently left it. Glancing at the cracked bathroom door, through my ringtone, I can hear the shower running.

"Hello?" I say tiredly, I don't have the number saved. I knot my eyebrows as I try and figure it out on my own.

"Oh- Gray! Thank god you answered! I'm so sorry to wake you up, but I wanted to let you know that the baby is on his way!" Ren exclaims triumphantly into the phone.

Suddenly, every ounce of 'tired' I had in my body disappears. "Oh my god! I'm on my way!!" I exclaim. I didn't really think into the idea very much. I'll persuade Cal to take me (or let me go by myself).

"See you soon!!" Ren says wildly, and I let out a high-pitches squeal as soon as he hangs up the phone.

I'm having a baby brother! I smile widely and sort of just look down at my hands for a second. I'm beyond excited, and extremely tired too.

"What's wrong? Are you hurt?" Calvin rushes out of the bathroom, soaking wet and a towel wrapped around his waist. I chew on my bottom lip when I realize that I made him think something bad was happening to me.

"No. No." I half laugh when he cups my cheeks and checks my face for any kind of pain or wound.

"Why'd you scream? Why'd your heart beating so fast?" He asks, rushing his words. I tug his face down to my level and give him a reassuring kiss.

"My mom's having her baby." I say, grinning like a mad man.

"Don't ever scream like that again, baby." He warns, pressing a kiss to my lips. "You scared me." He kisses me again and again. I roll my eyes and kiss him back.

"Let me get dressed and we'll go. Okay?" He kisses me a final time before going around the room and gathering clothes. He disappears into the bathroom- momentarily I feel rejected, like he had felt before when I go to the bathroom and change- only because he has to brush his teeth.

I change into a pair of comfy yoga pants and a t-shirt, and head to the bathroom to brush my teeth. Cal is standing in front of the mirror with a toothbrush hanging out of his mouth.

"Cute." I grin, before beginning to brush my own teeth. It seems like everything Calvin does looks like he does it perfectly.

"Yeah, yeah." He mumbles, latching his watch onto his wrist. "It's a long drive, so let's leave, yeah?"

-

"Why do you keep looking at me like that?" Cal asks, glancing over at me from the driver's seat. I pucker out my bottom lip and shrug my shoulders.

"Thinking." I reply. It's funny- a single word can mean so much. Thinking is a broad term. Cal knots his eyebrows because my answer didn't quite match his question.

"About??" He asks, glancing at me for a single second. His hand grips the wheel a little tighter when a car comes close to us on the highway. He's nervous.

"I didn't even ask you if we could go see my mom. You just sort of packed us up." I smile. "Didn't you have work to do?"

"No." He sighs. "I mean, yeah. I had a bunch of papers to file, but a baby is a big deal and I know how you've been waiting for this and-" he grins.

"It's the perfect excuse for you to go see your mom and hang out there like you wanted." He adds. I smile and rest my head against the window.

"Are you sure you're not more excited than me?" I ask with a half laugh. Cal glances at me and snorts -with a smile- and laughs at my comment.

"Babies are great and all, and it's exciting that you're going to get a little brother." Cal says with a yawn. He's been up for awhile. "I've never actually really interacted with a baby before." He flinches when I take in a gasp.

"You're kidding?" It's more of a statement rather than a question. Cal is nearly three hundred and he's never messed with a baby.

"I've never needed to." He replies smoothly. "Taking care of a few hundred packs all around the world is time consuming. There's never really been any time for me to mess with one." He shrugs casually.

"Do you not want any?" I knot my eyebrows and look at him. He makes up enough time to be with me. He should have enough time to hold a baby every once in awhile.

Cal let's out a sigh. "I'm not picking a fight." He says lowly, before answering my question. "I do, but I do not at the same time. There are reasons for that, just like there are reasons that I haven't marked you yet, Gray. I don't want anyone else to have to go through everything that I have. So many good people lost their lives, and I've seen so many people in my family pass. Living long is cool to think about- until you finally get to live it. The fun in things runs out, you get bored, and you can't do anything about it. Gray, I don't wish this upon anyone." His grip on the steering wheel gets tighter and his knuckles turn white.

I look at his eyes through the mirror and let out a slow breath. "I get that, Cal." I say as gently as I can. I rest a hand against his shoulder and he let's out a growl.

"You don't, Gray." He huffs out. "You don't 'get it'. Not a single bit. There are reasons why I won't mark you. I've told you that time and time again. Yet, you continue to beg me to mark you. You don't get why this is such a big deal to me. All you seem to think is that I don't want you. And you're absolutely right." He snaps. His eyes are black and I jerk away from him because his words sting.

"I don't want you to end up like me. Has it ever occurred to you that if I try and change you without you already being shifted that there's a possibility that I could kill you?" I swallow hard. It could kill me? "I'd rather spend eighty years with you as a human, than let you die as young as you are trying to change you." He breathes out. I'm frozen in my seat, and I don't say a word. In fact, I don't say anything for the next ten hours.