10. Betrayal

Decklen's pov~~

Laying in bed, I hear my phone buzzing on the floor waking me up; I slowly open my eyes to see Lace laying on my chest and I smile. Carefully, I slide out of the bed and turn back to pull the blanket up over her body then kiss her forehead. She mumbles a little and nuzzles further into the warm spot I made in the sheets.

Getting my phone out of my pocket, I look down to see a few texts from Ben and then a text from David. I open it and my heart tightens with an uneasy feeling.

"Come to this Address, it's time for the next step."

Quietly, I grab my scattered clothes and leave Lace's room, closing the door behind me softly.

Going out to the garage, I get in my car and drive to the location that David gave me; I park and notice Ben standing outside of a door and motion for me to follow him.

When I get inside, it is a small room that looks like a simple office and David is sitting behind that desk.

"You ready?" David asks.

"For what?"

"You just have to follow along." He says before answering a call and agreeing to something before hanging up. We sit there in silence for a long time before I hear the sound of a car coming. A heavier car, most likely a van. I look out the small window through the blinds and see that I was right.

As soon as the van pulls up I know that something is off, the air is thicker and almost all the men around disappear into the background.

"Are you ready for what you are about to do?" David asks from behind his desk, I look at him for a moment and I know that I shouldn't trust him, but if this is going to help Lace in the end than I have to.

I simply nod and wait for the person to come through that door.

I walk back and stand by David, leaning against the wall, taking in a deep breath.

This will be the hardest thing I have ever done. Going behind Lace's back is something I never thought that I would do.

"Here you go boss, she put up more of a fight than I thought she would." David's men drag in a girl with a bag over her face, her knees bleeding and hands scrapped.

A zip tie around her wrists, her long black hair falling out from under the bag, my heart stops with realization.

Please.....Please no.....

The man yanks the bag off her head and she squints, then looks around the room, glaring; but when her eyes land on me, they go wide, so many emotions flash in those beautiful eyes that I love so much, then they go blank.

As if seeing me here, was her breaking point.

"Decklen, I'll leave you here to let our guest know the whole story."

I watch as David and his men leave the room, closing the door behind him.

Catching on now what David wants me to do, I know why he didn't tell me before hand. I never would have done it.

I could have done anything else to anyone else; but this....to her...

"Decklen...." I glance up at Lace, the woman that I am in love with.

she looks so empty.

"Is it true?" her voice breaks.

I take in a deep breath. "Yes."

NO! I mentally yell into the void.

I can almost see her body take the hit of my words, slowly cracking her.

"For how long?" her eyes hold hope, they hold love.

"Since the beginning."

Please! I'm begging you bambino, look at the man you know and see my lies!! I plea as I squeeze my hands into fists.

Her head drops and so does my heart.

"So all of those...I love you's...they were lies too?" she doesn't even look at me as she asks.

I wait, my voice too real to play off my lies.

"Yes." I get out after shoving down my real words.

I see a tear fall, its glass droplet falling to her wrists that are now  red and bruised from the zip tie.

I love you more than anything, please hold onto that lace. I hold in my own tears.

"I guess I should have known." she says with a breaking soul.

No, baby don't destroy yourself again.

A tortured laugh leaves her throat which covers a sob, "At least you won't have to deal with me anymore." she looks at me with a small smile.

It takes everything in my being to no get on my knees in front of her and hold her face in my hands yelling at her to take those words back, to realize I would spend every second of every day by her side if only the universe would allow it.

"Have a nice life Lace." I say as coldly as I can, as I walk to the door and shut it behind me.

As I hear the door click behind me I lean against the door and cover my mouth as I crumble to the ground, my heart imploding. The water in my eyes pouring out with all the real words I wish that I could say to her.

"She has to think you are on my side Decklen and so does the mole on your side," David bends down and puts a hand on my shoulder. "Once they come to get her form me, they will think she is completely alone and have their guard down. Then we will be able to get her."

I smack his hand away, "You realize that I will only get her back if they don't kill her first or she doesn't kill herself before I can tell her the truth." I spit, my head playing back the image of Lace in the shower with her legs bleeding.

"It is the best way to make things go smoothly, they won't see it coming." Ben says with a sad look, clearly hearing Lace break down crying in the door behind me.

I stand up and it takes everything in me to not storm back into that room and stop her from crying. Taking a deep breath and turning to face David and Ben, I say, "Get me when its time to rescue her." Walking back to my car and getting in.

Driving as far away from them as possible, as far away as I can from the heart that I just shattered and want nothing more than to go put it back together.