19. The Hospital

Julio woke up feeling very sore. His body ached so much, any movement made him clench his teeth. His eyes got used to the light and realized he was hooked to something. The heart monitor beeping beside him, made him realize he was in the hospital. He rubbed his eyes only to feel a strong pain on his chest, he noticed he was bandaged. He was groggy but he remembered clearly how Alex, the idiot, had attacked him with a broken bottle. He must've stabbed him pretty bad, if the pain was any indication, it was a serious injury.

"You're awake!"

His mother stood in the doorway holding a cup of coffee in her hand, her weary eyes watched him with so much sadness.

"How long was I out?"

"Since Wednesday night and all day today."

He tried to set up but she rushed to his side. "No, no, no, you need to rest!"

"What happened to me?" he lastly asked slightly scared. Maybe his injury was worse than he thought.

"You were attacked by a lunatic. He stabbed you on the chest," she replied angrily. "You got ten stitches and you lost a lot of blood."

Ten stitches? That is bad, he thought. "I'm sorry, mom," he said rapidly. "I got into an argument with a guy and it got out of hand."

"It's alright, Julio. Your friends told me the story. The man was crazy, thank God he is going to jail."

Julio nodded.

"Hey," Sergio entered the room slowly. "Umm, Stephanie is here to see you."

Julio wasn't sure he heard him correctly. "Who?"

"Stephanie. She wants to know if it's okay to see you."

Julio nodded unable to form any words. She came to see him. She came to see him?

Stephanie walked in unsure as she saw his mother sitting beside him. "Hi," she greeted both. "I heard you were hurt."

Julio didn't reply. It looked like she had just gotten off work, her black ensemble and her high ponytail, made it obvious.

"Well, I will leave you two alone. You want a cup of coffee, Stephanie?" he heard his mother say. He didn't know she knew her name.

"No thank you, Mrs. Alvarez, I'm fine."

She smiled and held her hand. Why was she so warm towards her? So welcoming?

"So," Stephanie started once his mother left the room. "What the hell happened? Sergio said you were involved in a bar fight?"

He nodded. "Yeah."

She shook her head as she sat on the chair, scooting it closer to his bed. "Why would you do such a stupid thing?"

"Ah, you know, to prove my manliness."

She held back a laugh. "So, it was just a big Macho contest for you guys?"

"Yeah, and I won, you should see the other guy."

"He put you in the hospital. Is he dead?"

"I don't think so."

"Then I think he won the stupid contest."

He chuckled lowly, the simple act making him wince with pain.

"You okay?" she asked worriedly, it made him smile.

"I'm fine, the meds haven't kicked in yet." He paused and watched her as she ran her fingers through her long bangs getting them out of her eyes. "I'm surprised you came."