To Exasperate

Pam pursed her lips together as she cleaned up the spilled dirt of her potted plant. The small fern had gotten knocked over in her haste to leave. She felt the familiar pang of guilt when she noticed its damaged leaves.

She carefully scooped the black dirt back into the pot and off her pristine white floors. She didn't have time to mop the rest of the soil off her floors.

Pamela sighed and quickly exited.

It was later that morning she was meeting with Harley Quinn. The woman was unnerving. However Pamela was serious when she said she had seen worse. However she wasn't as confident as she played. Harley Quinn was a force to be reckoned with. But Pamela felt like reckoning.

She wiped her glass on the edge of her shirt and place them back on her face.
Mel was sitting in her office. In the dark. Waiting for her.

Pamela flicked on the light, "What on earth are you doing?"

Mel blinked as she had just now seen Pamela. "Oh! You're here! I got here really early and I was still tired so I decided to nap. Sorry for startling you it wasn't my intention I promise!" She inhaled deeply.

Pamela blinked and shook her head. "Alright, I suppose."

Mel unwrapped another sucker and tossed the crinkling wrapper in the trash bin.

"Your appointment with Ms. Quinn is at twelve, Dr. Isley." The mousy woman informed her.

"I'm aware, thank you Mel."

Pamela sat in her chair before powering on her computer and logging in her arrival time. She started at the screen before she noticed Mel was still standing at the front of her desk. "Yes?" Pamela drawled.

"Oh, coffee! Would you like coffee? I-"

Pamela held up a hand to stop the soon endless stream of words that was about to flow from her mouth.
"Yes. That will be fine. Two table spoons of sugar. Please."

Mel nodded and flounced out of her office.

Pamela groaned and put her head in her hands. "I understand now."

Dr. Arkham's shoving off of the woman made sense. Mel, she was a lot. A lot of weird energy that seemed to not know where to stop.

Pamela checked her watch before standing up. It was eleven thirty and if she was going to make it through briefing she had to hurry up to the main room.

Pamela powered off the laptop and grabbed her white lab coat.

Harley Quinn was waiting for her. Still in the straight jacket. Still in pigtails.

"Come here often Red?"

Pamela arched her eyebrow at the same line Harley had used in the first meeting.
"Your going to have to get a different line Ms. Quinn."

Harley wiggled her eyebrows. "If I use a different line does that improve my chances?"

"I'm afraid not." Pamela said as she crossed her legs.

"Well shit. I'm gonna stick with the original one instead."