Chapter 23 : Right Here, Waiting

Start from the beginning

Arthit groaned, if only his father knew how closely Kongpob kept an eye on him anyway. Knott's cough sounded suspiciously like laughter, Arthit shot him a warning look. Kongpob's head poked in through the door.

"Uncle, the taxi is here."

"Brilliant! N'Kong, I wonder if I could have a word with you?"

Arthit exchanged a look with Knott, who was having a tough time concealing his smile. His father took Kongpob aside probably instructing him to be on the lookout for him. Arthit burned with embarrassment.

"Ai'Knott, stop it. I know exactly what you're thinking."

********************************************************************

Arthit didn't know where to start, now that he had time alone with Kongpob. They were in Arthit's apartment, Kongpob was running his hand over the newly repaired window, a somber expression on his face.

"Kongpob?"

"Yes?"

Arthit hung his head, somehow feeling ashamed. He couldn't understand what was holding him back, he should have told his father the truth. But, somehow the prospect of coming to terms with an identity he would have to live his whole life with frightened him. When he thought about loving Kongpob, it felt so effortless, he had never thought of it as loving a man, it was just him loving Kongpob.

"P'Arthit, I wanted to speak to you about something -"

Arthit panicked, he took in Kongpob's serious expression. Was he going to break up with him?

"Before you say anything, hear me out. Please, Kongpob."

Kongpob gestured for him to continue.

"I - I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't tell my father about us, for calling you my friend - it's just -"

Arthit breathed a huge gulp of air in, hands shaking.

"-it's just, I'm afraid. I'm not ready to tell my parents, not just yet and I know it's not fair for me to ask you this - but - would you wait for me, wait till I'm ready to come out to my parents?"

Kongpob was silent, and Arthit felt as though his heart would break. He turned his face away, not wanting Kongpob to see his tears. He felt Kongpob's arms around his waist, and his chin propped against his shoulder.

"If it's you, P'Arthit, I'll wait. Please don't take too long."

Arthit turned around in his arms, burying his head in Kongpob's sturdy chest.

"Thank you - Kong -"

Once he had calmed down a bit, Arthit remembered.

"What did you want to speak to me about?"

"Oh, that. I was going to tell you that I won't give up on us and persuade you to give our relationship a fighting chance -"

Kongpob pulled him to his side, smiling a soft smile.

"- but this is so much better."

******************************************************************

They had ended up in Kongpob's apartment, most of their things were in the new apartment and it looked bare without its usual possessions. Arthit stirred in his sleep, Kongpob was holding him by his waist, and he had to push his hand away to grab at his phone.

"Yes -Ai'Knott - what is it - slow down."

Arthit sat up, rubbing at his sleepy eyes, Kongpob complained in his sleep.

"I'm coming, wait for me, Ai'Knott."

Arthit shrugged off his shorts, changing into jeans instead. He brushed Kongpob's hair slowly bending over to press a kiss on his forehead.

"Kong?"

Kongpob's eyelashes fluttered as he opened his eyes.

"P'Arthit? What's wrong? Why are you awake?"

"It's Knott. He has a problem -"

"Do you want me to come?"

Arthit hesitated, not sure whether he should bring Kongpob. He wondered whether Knott would appreciate it.

"No. Don't worry, I'll be back soon."

He kissed Kongpob, bidding him goodbye before making his way downstairs, into the darkness.

*****************************************************************

A/N : A resolution of some sorts! Knott's story in the next chapter.

Stay tuned x