Chapters 16-17

Chapter Sixteen

…Sam and I walked off the bus into my driveway. We were silent as we kept going. I was terrified I was losing her.

            I took her hand and held on, whispering, “Never go home. My mother won’t care. She won’t even notice you’re here.”

            “Really?” Sam said, disbelieving.

            “Trust me. She doesn’t even notice me. We can both be invisible.”

            She smiled. I opened the door and we walked inside the lonely house. Lonely from having nothing in it. No healthy relationship mother, no healthy nourished Amber, just empty Amber and sad Sam. Mother was either working or at a bar.

            “So what do you want to do, now?” I asked Sam. She shrugged.

            “Music?”

            “Of course,” I replied. “Suicide Silence?”

            She nodded, so I popped the CD in a stereo. Sam landed on the couch and turned on the TV.

            “There’s not much channels. My mom’s poor.” She laughed at my remark.

            “What about movies?” she asked.

            I pulled one out of the stack. “We can watch The Ring. Do you want to?”

            “Yeah. I love that movie.”

            “I know,” I said with a smile, and put the VHS in.

            As the movie started with the music overpowering the sound, Sam said, “Ugh. I have to throw up, Amber.”

            She then left for the bathroom as I said, “Oh.”

            I’d always hated her bulimia. I knew how much damage it caused.

            After a few minutes, she still hadn’t come back in the room. I got up, worried, to go find her. Outside the bathroom door, I asked, “Sam, are you okay?”

            She didn’t answer, but opened the door.

            Her eyeliner was streaked down her face; she’d been crying. The small bathroom reeked from vomit, and I couldn’t help but notice the deep scars on her wrists.

            “I can’t do this anymore,” she sobbed. “Everyone hates me and I’m stupid and ugly and unimportant. I need out, Amber. I’m starting to see things and I don’t know what to do…”

            I looked at her, speechlessly. Tears were starting to roll down my face.

            “What…? But you’re everything to me!”

            “I need you to do something for me, Amber,” Sam said. “I’m too scared to do it myself.”

            “What is it?”

            “Promise first. Swear?”

            “I swear! I’d do anything for you! What do you need?” I asked her in hysterics.