Chapter Three: The First And Last Train Ride

The train was a long, white snake gleaming in the artificial light of the train station. We marched into the belly of it and sat down on clean, white seats, the smell of cleaner sharp in the air. 

I didn't speak to anyone. The woman chattered on about how honored we should feel to be the Chosen. That we should be happy we are able to be beautiful enough to be models. That our families would be so proud of us. 

A girl with dark, satin skin looked at me with deep, golden eyes. I smiled at her, my lips stretching across my face numbly. Everything hurt, but most of all, my heart. 

All I wanted to do was to see my family again. I missed them so much.  My mother's words echoed in my mind, keeping me strong. But it was my brother's words that had startled me. How could I escape? No one escaped. 

The scenery flew by. Green slabs of grass, a fleeting glimpse of unending blue. A dark woods, with a sinister dark fog, creeping out, reaching for the train. But we were going too fast to see anything in complete detail. It was most likely the only time I would see the real sun and feel it on my skin. The last time I could see outside. 

The train slowed and the doors opened, leading me to my new life. 

You must escape.