Night walks

Eren:

"Let me go! I don't wanna go! My dad's still alive you idiots! Let me go! NO!"

I bolted awake in a cold sweat. The lights were off and it was still dark. I looked around the dark and damp room filled with other sleeping kids of different ages. My heart was racing and I could feel it beating through my chest. 

My mother died from an illness that swept the town when I was just nine. I did have a father, but he was always traveling and ran off after my mothers death. As for my adoptive sister, Mikasa, she was overwhelmed with guilt because it was her job to take care of her while she was sick and dad was out. She too ran away, leaving me all alone. Soon I ended up here, in an orphanage.

I'm one of the oldest in this cotillion orphanage; I'm 17 years old and I don't want myself to be be a butler for a fucking Lord. I'm clumsy on purpose and most of these stuck up rich merchants pick the neatest ones. Which is why I'm never picked off

Once I turn twenty. I have the to leave so I'm doing so. I just have to make it past today, because today one of the most up-tight, strictest lords is coming today.

I slip out of bed and crept over to the window carefully making sure the floor boards didn't churn too much. I open it quietly making sure it doesn't squeak too loud. Then I slip out the window and roll onto the roof. I did this often. It gave me fresh air, away from this hell hole. It's been eight years since I first came here. I've never gotten use to it.

I stare up at the dark sky. Through the darkness stars sprayed across the sky. The moon was only half a sliver and it shone down on the paved roads. The moon was always a comfort to me. It showed me reality and gave me hope on what might become.

"Once I get out of here...I'm gonna become a merchant, I'm gonna sell values and become big in trade. Then I can get everyone out of here..." I promise myself quietly.

After a while of watching the motionless moon I make my way down onto the ground and ducked under the fence that kept us in. I had taken one of the silverware steak knives from the kitchen and cut a hole into the fence when I was little. I brushed the mud off of me since it had rain previously and just wandered around town with my green ragged shirt and brown pants.

I knew no one would be out at this time, not on quiet days like this. I felt a few drops of water fall onto my head, but I brushed it off as rain water falling from the trees above. My foot steps are light and careful and I can barely hear them. So it surprised me when I heard heavier footsteps coming from the other side of the street. I slowed my pace until I had come to a stop and stared blankly at the other end of the street.

There, when my eyes adjusted, I could see a silhouette of a person walking parallel to me. The person didn't notice and seemed to be holding an umbrella over their head. Some part of me wanted to say hi, but I knew they would get scared and or they probably were up to no good. Especially at this time.

When I was about to start walking again, the silhouette stopped walking and I could feel their eyes on me. I must've stared for too long. I blinked a few times and tried to make out any features. That's when the figure started crossing the street.

Fear swept through me. What do they want? Who are they? I quickly looked away and started walking again.

"Hey." The voice echoed through the empty streets